Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
What a weekend filled with fun we all had!
I want, first of all, to thank all the organizers, and the instructors, and the special guests that came to give us their time and expertise.
The days were almost perfect, not too hot, not too windy. The track was great, very hard on the cars, but more on the drivers.
Haven't had so much fun since Fontana (rainy parking lot track). But I personally learned so much! Nowhere, I mean no-where can you get so much track time, so much starting excercises.

As the organizers mentioned, a TT and race at the Streets would be a very good idea.
Lets go for it!

Jorge Mazlumian
73 GTV

·
Registered
615 Posts
I too want to thank the organizers and instructors for the informative and very fun weekend. Now I want to install a roll bar and harness so I can go time trialling with this great group of Alfisti.

I was most amazed at how well organized this event was. Every session of both days were started right on time (very un-Italian). We had exactly four hours each of track, skid pad (wet and dry) and classroom time.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It was very special for Steve Hamilton to share this letter and, without the intention of embarassing anyone, I feel obligated to share it. I believe Bob has elegantly expressed feelings and emotions that flow through all of us involved in and around motor sports and he has captured the essence of what AROSC is about - shared passions. By the way these passions are as intense whether competing in a Concorso, Driving on a Wine Tour, etc., etc.
In general, the nicest, most helpful and honestly supportive people that I have met in my 6+ decades on this planet have been "car people".

Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 7:16 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Willow Springs Driving School, September 2005
September 4, 2005

Dear Steve,

Ernest Hemingway once said that there are only three true sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting and motor racing.

Bull fighters and mountain climbers no doubt enjoy their own special fraternity. But for motor racing, I cannot imagine a nicer balance than the goodwill and camaraderie, inspired by The Alfa Romeo Club of Southern California. Thanks to you and the many other volunteers, AROSC is a means to both a venue and a reliable organization of endless details. The AROSC spirit is wonderfully infectious and egalitarian. Bring together the energy of the instructors, an exotica of cars and drivers, and magic happens. Somehow, it all works. Most of all it works because of AROSC's unspoken motto: This is fun! Let's all pull together!

As the father of two growing sons, AROSC weekends are a real highlight. This is my chance to build great memories and forge new friendships around a shared mania for motorsport. In particular, I owe a debt of gratitude to many in AROSC on behalf of my son, Matt. The transformative changes in maturity and character over the past few seasons, leave me awestruck. What can I say?

I borrowed Steve McQueen's line from "Le Mans" last night, and wrote the following on Terry Major's car: "Racing is life, the rest is just waiting."

Bob Poulin

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I too had a blast, I felt like I got faster ever session. I meet some new people including Garrett "AR1750GTV" and we pitted together. Following Norm around was helpful, he may not be the fastest out there, but he does know the right line. Following him through turn two was fun, I wish I had a camera in the car because instead of lifting his right front he was three wheeling lifting the right rear. I'm also going to try some suspension modificatiions that were suggested by a couple of the instructors in an attempt to correct some handling issues.

I can't wait for the event in October.

Thanks again for the great time.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks Gifford.

Gifford,

It was a pleasure to meet you and thank you for sharing your paddock space with me. It did make the whole experience more enjoyable, even if most of the day we only spoke to each other in passing on our way to the next session. I'd be happy to be your "pit crew" the next time you run a TT for real. It's always useful to have an extra set of hands around.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Geez Giff, it was my inside rear wheel lifting :eek: ? I thought the LSD was slipping and I was going to have to weld it down :rolleyes: . By the way, nice clean passing on the point bys' - you really had that car moving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jorge, I couldn't agree more!! I certainly had a blast racing with all of you. It was a great experience at a great track for us organized by a great group of people. My best race experience ever.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Race Class Highlight Video :)

Another fantastic weekend!!! This was my first time running door-to-door, in real life. I've been doing it for years on the computer, which probably helps.

I took a bunch of video and edited it down to about 8-1/2 minutes:

Highlight Video

It's still a little long (~25mb), but it streams and starts quickly. Broadband is probably a good thing here. I didn't mention any names (to protect the guilty), but you all know who you are! It's full of captions; hey, it tells a story! Sure, it's cheesy - but you all will come to expect nothing less from me! :D

Thanks again to the event coordinators - you all did your usual impossibly great job!

Pat O'Neal
'94 Red Miata

·
Registered
130 Posts
Pats_MX5 said:
I took a bunch of video and edited it down to about 8-1/2 minutes:

Highlight Video
Nice video Pat. However I had to add a .mpg file extention to get it to play.

My weekend was somewhat pleasant. I was suppose to be in Novice Time trial and my brother was suppose to be in the Street performance class.

We drove down on friday with no problems. However on saturday morning my brothers car refused to shift into any gear. The clutch had just quit very suddenly with no warning. The car shifted fine on friday.

So I went from novice time trial to street performance and we shared my car for the saturday class. It was a blast.

We decided to try and get the broken car home on saturday night. So we got to the highway and drove back to san diego. Lucky the car made it all the way home and quit on the off ramp and we dragged it home from there.

We got home at around mid-night. I was exhausted, so I decide to not return for the sunday school. I missed out this time, but I hope to see all you again at Big Willow.

Thanks to everyone for a great event.

·
Registered
95 Posts
smestas said:
I fixed the link for yah! Hope you dont mind.
That is very strange. The original link should work with no problem. Adding .mpg to the link probably just fixed the fact that .wmv isn't registered on your PC, because it's a wmv not an mpg. Here is a link to the actual address: Race Video

Pat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Philip Guiral said:
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the video. Now I know where the red strip on the left side of my car came from!
Phil
OK Phil, now this is very important: I'm sure you're referring to going through the front straight kink side by side. I was determined to get by you and left it flat through there, knowing that I had to pinch the exit to give you room. I hit the curb a little and it bounced the car some, tossing me a little more to the outside than I wanted. At that moment, although I wasn't watching the mirror, I felt like I gave you enough room.

Did I?

Pat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pat,
You did fine. It was that red VW that passed me with an inch to spare going up the hill at that first corner on that last race. That's what makes racing so much more fun than time trialing. I think we both need about 100 more HP to help us through the long straights.
Phil

·
Registered
95 Posts
Philip Guiral said:
Pat,
You did fine. It was that red VW that passed me with an inch to spare going up the hill at that first corner on that last race. That's what makes racing so much more fun than time trialing. I think we both need about 100 more HP to help us through the long straights.
Phil
Good, Phil. Since this was really my first time, my sense of where cars are around me is still developing. Yes, Frank is um... aggressive. That pass was pretty impressive, but he was doing stuff like that all weekend, I just didn't get any of them on tape :D. When he broke his right front axle Saturday, some of us were privately relieved that we wouldn't be seeing him on Sunday; then he went and fixed the darn thing overnight! Pretty awesome effort to get that done.

Knowing who you're racing with is important, and although I can't quite say I'm "comfortable" with him yet, it is evident that he is very skilled and experienced and is not simply wreckless. But jeez - he is intimidating to a newbie like me!

And, yes - I am sick of being held up in the corners only to be left in the dust on the straights. We'll have to see what we can do about that...

Pat.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Pats_MX5 said:
Yes, Frank is um... aggressive. That pass was pretty impressive, but he was doing stuff like that all weekend, I just didn't get any of them on tape :D. When he broke his right front axle Saturday, some of us were privately relieved that we wouldn't be seeing him on Sunday; then he went and fixed the darn thing overnight! Pretty awesome effort to get that done.
Knowing who you're racing with is important, and although I can't quite say I'm "comfortable" with him yet, it is evident that he is very skilled and experienced and is not simply wreckless. But jeez - he is intimidating to a newbie like me!
Pat.
Certainly Frank is *not* a newbie. He holds a record at WS website:
<<Frank Cervetto SCCA ITC 01:38.951 2/97 89 mph >>
http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/trackinformation/records.asp

We were next to each other in the pits and had the chance to chit chat. He is a very nice guy (especially when not driving that thing!)
Did it have slicks?

Jorge

21 - 40 of 40 Posts