Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recommend high output (white light) headlights from personal experience?

I am looking to replace to stock headlights. I cannot find any previous posts on this subject. Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Do you have sealed beam headlights or those with a replaceable bulb (H4?)?

Either way you should (also) consider adding relays to provide the headlights with full power. Otherwise anything with higher wattage ratings may overload the current (pun!) wiring & switches.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric: I was some how hoping that someone was using the new LED headlights. They offer huge output and draw very moderate current so loads on wires are tolerable.
My search for them will continue. Thanks for your post.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
If you want good headlights on a Spider, three steps (in order of importance).

1) Install relays on the high/low beams. Pretty easy to do

2) Replace the sealed beams with high-quality replaceable bulb reflectors from someone like Cibie or Hella

3) Get some good halogen H4 bulbs, stock wattage. You can get the +30 or +50 versions if you want a bit more (legal) light at the expense of bulb life

Anything else is a gimmick. Avoid any of the "Silverstar"-type bulbs with blue envelopes.

Some good tech resources here: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
If you want good headlights on a Spider, three steps (in order of importance).
I'd add a fourth step, and would make it number zero: IMPROVE THE FACTORY GROUNDS. My spiders came with a headlight ground consisting of a ring lug attached to the sheet metal screw that sort of attaches the bucket to the fender. Even when new and uncorroded, this couldn't have been a great connection. I always extend that lead, take it out of the bucket, and attach it to the unibody.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Bosch H4 headlamps and I put a couple of bosch relays on mine. Then I brought a couple of Flösser headlamps. They are 145/100w white bulbs. This is really nice, it has better light than my uncle's BMW with HID.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts