Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1976 alfa spider with the spica fuel injection. I do have the alternate cable fix to the broken Thermostatic Actuator. It idles high then dives in rpms then back up and keep doing that with the cable pushed in. with it pulled out, it idles smooth but high. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
24,965 Posts
Get a good working actuator. My experience with the Sure Start type devices is they wouldn't hold a setting well. After you get an actuator go through the setup procedures.
Idle surge is often a sign of excess leanness. How do the plugs look? But without knowing your setup is OK you're kind of in the woods.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
24,965 Posts
An actuator that works right will help. There are several things including rod length, actuator extension, idle port o-ring, and ignition timing that all affect idle speed.

Wes Ingram, or try Alfa Parts Exchange, sometimes they have good used. 925 200-1998. Or ask here on the BB in the parts wanted section.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
24,965 Posts
I would recommend a systematic approach but it's in that little spider distribution block with the four hoses, on the top of the intake. Remove the large hose coming from the air cleaner. Underneath is a screw/tube, which bears on a washer on o-ring. Loosen the little clamp first. Turning the screw in should in theory compress the o-ring and reduce the idle but it often doesn't do anything.
Again, I'd go through all the steps, and without a stable actuator setting it'll be very hard to get it right.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I agree with Andrew. A good TA with the correct pump gap, is the key to all the other settings, most importantly the rod lengths, which is why you're having idle issues.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The SureStart works just fine on my Sport Sedan.
But, everything else is adjusted properly.
There are other issues with your set-up.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Unfortunately you can’t just set the idle. You are going to need to tune your Spica fuel pump. I think that somewhere on this board there is a set of instructions to do this. I don’t want to sound like a commercial for Wes Ingram but he is the go to guy for all things Spica. Wes has a book that is available on his website. Follow the steps outlined of any of the methods in order. It will take you a while the first time and you will have questions so don’t be hesitant to ask them here. We’re here to help and our experience, opinions, and advice are free.

- Drew

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't get your hopes up that a new O-ring alone will solve your idle issue. If all other settings, including timing are not addressed, you will find that replacing the O-ring won't change anything. Just being real.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Where are you located? Perhaps there is a member nearby that could help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.