Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try a little hidden antenna on or maybe under the rear deck? Crutchfield has two interesting ones...
This one would easily mount under the rear deck in one of the metal openings, giving it a clear shot through some fabric and wood and glass:
http://tinyurl.com/chpcn

And this one would be pretty easy to mount on top of the rear deck... it would be visible bit not too ugly. It's designed to mount to the glass but that sounds a bit too visible to me:
http://tinyurl.com/cybp8

Comments, ideas? I want a radio but don't want an ugly external antenna...
C

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to try and avoid any kind of external antenna. I figure I can always drill a hole in the body later, but I cannot fill it back up very easily! So a power antenna is the "last resort".
C

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have not used the 1st one you listed. But can tell you all the others Including the last one are not close to a out side ant. FM is OK to good, Am is usless.
Let us know if the little bllack box one is worth a Darn
Good Luck

V

·
0 Posts
I have used the first one you posted a link for. Still have it and you come come get it if you want... it did NOT work very well.

I have since gone to a style made for RV's that I found at the local parts store. It is mounted above the rear view mirror and while not completely invisible, it is hard to notice and works well for both AM and FM.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VeniVidiVeloce, the one you show in your window, this is the RV one? It looks just like the second one I posted a link for in my original message...
C

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am very curious about the little black box antenna that can be hidden. I'm about to weld shut my antenna hole and was hoping for something hidden, too. I am skeptical about it. After all, there is a reason why car companies have been putting stick antennaes on cars for decades, but let's hope one of these will work. :confused:

V

·
0 Posts
Bill,

The black box is NOT hidden. It too must have "sight" to work. If you bury it under the rear parcel shelf or the like it will not work at all. It is designed to be attached to the windscreen and is amplified to improve signal. Like I said above, it works, just not very well. The second type works much better and from the outside is very hard to see.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VeniVidiVeloce, Bill,
I have a friend who has the black box one in both his GTV and Giulietta. In both cases he has these under his dash, and the result is essentially zero radio reception. I'm hoping I can mount one of these on the rear deck and get better reception. But I am sure that VVV is correct that mounting them on the windshield would be better, and that an outside arial would be much better than these no matter what. It's all about finding the right compromise for your own situation...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
An antenna option

One option that you may consider is putting the ant. horizontally under the passenger rocker panel.

I have this on my '67 GTV and FM works fine. AM is a little weak.
I used the ant. from an early Honda/Toyota that was originally mounted along the outside of the windshield pillar. Gen-xers may not be familiar with this as it was on rice cars in the 70's/80's.

Two screws hold the bracket and support with one 3/8" hole for the cable. All of this is mounted through the spot welded lap joint and does not let water into the rocker cavity. I routed the cable thru the large round rubber floor plug, under the carpet, behind the heater box and to the radio. The cable could be routed up thru the wheel well, but would be less hidden.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Bump. Any current sage advice for an "inside" antenna? The Crutchfield product reviews were all over the map. Thanks, B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts