Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I was thinking of adding HID (High intensity discharge) lights to my GTV because stock lighting is not that bright, and just wanted to know if anyone has them installed in a Alfa. They say HID lights give 30-50% more lighting then Halogen bulbs but was thinking if it is worth the extra $300 for a pair. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Also, what about HID for a 164? I think Hella makes a system. Anyone know how to obtain it and how much it costs?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
might wanna make sure your car can handle all the juice from those lights, especially the gtv. 164 shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Guys,

From what I've read, a true HID system ( $500 - $600 ) actually uses LESS electricity ( about 35 watts ). It uses a capacitor and other circuitry to get the arc ( there is no filament in a HID bulb ) established and then only requires the 35w to maintain the arc.

It's a lot of bucks though.

Dan
67 Duetto
74 GTV

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Alfapwr
Sounds like a good deal if i had the money.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have HID in my Spider

Hey John:

I have done the conversion to my 78 Spider. Cost me around $500 shopping off ebay. You must acquire new headlight housings that accept an H4 bulb. I am not sure on a GTV but I believe its 5 1/4 housings. I also don't know the setup on that car in regards to dim/bright. Does it use all four lights, two for low, two for bright or just the outer two housings for both bright and dim?

For a four headlight system, you can replace your low beam housings with the HID system and maintain your other housings for brights.

For a two headlight system you have two choices. You can get two types of HID systems. One type is essentially low beam only and would eliminate your high beams. The second type has a magnetic reflector that opens and closes with your low/high beam switch to essentially give you low and high beam lights while the bulb never changes intensity.

All of these are easily installable at home. They actually do draw less power than stock bulbs (HID is 35W vs. Halogen 55/65W). Tremendous light given off by real HID so aim the lights low. Color is determined by the temp rating on them. The system plugs into your old bulb harness not to power the bulbs, but as the on/off for the system. Requires the mounting of the ballasts and relays, and a seperate power source and ground for the ballasts and bulbs that is relayed on/off via your old harness.

A few words of advice. When choosing a HID system, choose hella/osram/sylvania for your ballasts and bulbs. Although the kits are put together by other manufacturers, they are the industry standard for the best components.

Don't be fooled by the $20-$50 Xenon filled halogen bulbs. They are coated to produce the color and produce less light in some cases, and worst of all they can draw as much as 110W which will pop fuses and maybe fry the harness.

John M

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want HID

John M,
Thanks for the info on HID for alfas, you sound pretty happy. When the time comes i will get me a set and hook it up so i can take my car on some Canyon runs during the night and not have to worry about brightness.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Re: I have HID in my Spider

John M said:
Don't be fooled by the $20-$50 Xenon filled halogen bulbs. They are coated to produce the color and produce less light in some cases, and worst of all they can draw as much as 110W which will pop fuses and maybe fry the harness.
Being the frugal person that I am I can verify that the cheap bulbs are not the right way to achive the same effect!

:D

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cuore_alfa,
That would be great if you can post a picture up, i am interested in how the set up is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts