Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im considering an engine rebuild towards the end of year. I have a standard 105 european 1600 engine with the following upgrades;
C&B 10.9 cams
gasflowed head
Alfaholics manifold and exhaust

The engine currently runs standard pistons.

Does anyone have experience with either over-boring or hi compression pistons they can share with me please?

·
Super Moderator
11,365 Posts
A common modification is to bore 1600 liners out by an additional 2mm - from their stock 78mm bore to 80mm - and fit 1750 pistons. That will raise the nominal displacement from 1,567cc to 1,649cc. Use a 1750 headgasket, and retain your 1600 rods.

Some head work will be needed to clear the larger diameter pistons - you will need to relieve the outer edge of the combustion chambers.

The liners seem to be over-engineered enough to tolerate the 1mm loss of wall thickness, at least in street applications. I would be hesitant to try this for super high performance use.

Another alternative would be the 79mm P&L set sold by Spruell. See: http://www.spruellmotorsport.com/piston-liner-79mm-1600-with-overbore-p-3994.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
piston performance

Thanks guys, the Spruell pistons (which I believe are JE pistons as suggested by
Greg) certainly look interesting; I'm awaiting a price on the pistons only, as sending my liners to USA and back for a bore is an exceptionally expensive approach as regards postal costs.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,887 Posts
Stuart, in Europe they run the 1600`s in historic classes both racing and rally and without doubt will have the best equiptment available. I read somewhere that the original numbered correct period 1600 engines are in very high demand and worth big money.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have seen some 1600 pistons and assocaited setup for sale by UlrichGTA on the BB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts