Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I don't own an alfa. BUT I'm looking to maybe dropping an Alfa v6 into a Mk2 cortina - so I'd like to know more about the motors. I'd need a rear wheel drive version to make it easier. What years/models were these in? What should I know about the motors? Were there carburettored versions? Is there a marked difference between the manual and autos? Lots more questions to come :)
Cheers,
RobW

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hello Rob! Welcome to the BB. The Alfa 2.5 liter V6 was introduced in the US in 1981 and continued through 1989 in rear wheel drive models. The same engine in 3.0 liters was used in the subsequent FWD cars everywhere except the US from 1995 on. The initial 2.5 liter engines were all single overhead cam engines with Bosch electronic fuel injection. South Africa had a carbureted 3.0 liter engine that was not available elsewhere, I believe.

What should you know about them? They take some maintenance, but most engines available now have had the annoying issues repaired. The timing belts should be inspected and replaced regularly, the factory says every 30K miles, but if you are careful with your maintenance your mileage may vary. If you want more technical information, check out the dedicated forum here on the Alfetta/GTV6 -- Alfetta & GTV6 (1972-1986) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi,
I'd need a rear wheel drive version to make it easier.
The rear wheel drive version in the GTV6 and Milano have a transaxle, in board rear brakes and De Dion suspension. If you need a transmission with a rear differential, it may be a challenge, so besides the motor, you may need to bone up on the whole Alfa V6 drive train...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the gearbox/diff are one unit - is that right? That would certainly make for an interesting conversion to put the whole shebang under the cortinas' bum.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes, that is correct... Gear box is in the rear... Not only would you have fun figuring out how to make it fit, you'd have to design a driveshaft that won't vibrate when rotating at engineer speed... New half shafts and rear suspension if you cannot adapt the Alfetta/GTV6/Milano DeDion rear suspension which the transaxle mounts to... Not for the faint of heart if you want to make a go of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts