Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm back in Alfa ownership after too many years away!

It's all happened by lucky chance, I got offered this car in p/ex against my Ferrari 348 I was selling.
Ironically, a 105 Coupe was high on my list of next classics to replace the 348.

The car is a 1974 2000 GT Veloce - originally sold in the US, then sold to the second owner - a Greek gentleman, who imported it to Greece in 1980, 62K miles and only two owners (well two families).
Comprehensively rebuilt from a bare shell recently: engine rebuilt (on carbs now and mildly tweaked), gearbox rebuilt, low ratio US axle rebuilt - with 45% LSD, all new Alfaholics lightweight suspension etc, etc.
Just let down by some poor finishing details - nothing that can't be sorted relatively cheaply.

Immediate jobs to do:
New RHD headlights
Front indicators??? - I'm looking to fit some small round ones - as I'm running sans-bumpers and will keep the 'sporty look'
UK register - need to get a Certificate of Conformity
General tidying of the interior
Minor electrical gremlins on dash
Tidy up external chrome trim
Look at increasing the ride height - running Alfaholics lightweight 'race' suspension

So, I'm today looking at the best way of removing the front quartlights and stripping them and getting them rechromed - any pointers would be greatly received!
118614972_309156053632130_2783429336235452544_n.jpg
118421845_595986157734445_1725110329827548805_n.jpg
118530976_943001059526402_3804592443526546481_n.jpg
118599362_337264337630246_1741863663687384200_n.jpg
garage 2.jpg
garage 1.jpg

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
The quarter vent has securing points at its leading edge (a tab, bolted to the front edge of the door, accessible there), and an adjustable bolt at the bottom of its ’leg’, which carries the front window/felt and extends to near the bottom of the door (access by removing door furniture and door card).
Maybe the vent winder mechanism might have to be released too...but that Is just a slip fit to the vent window base, and one should just pull clear of the other.
P.s., you’ll likely lose a bit of skin in the process.
P.p.s., nice car!

·
Registered
293 Posts
There is also a "bolt" at the bottom of the pivot leg, it lightly spreads out the bottom of the pivot leg to that it does not ride up. IF you do not loosen/remove it it will be hard to get out

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice car.
i would be very concerned if the Bertone front fender badge is correct on left panel... or should it be right?
:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
For what it's worth: The quarterlight frames are stainless (at least mine are, which are from an earlier car that yours) so those can be polished vs. chromed. However, the piece that the glass actually mounts to on the bottom edge of the glass is indeed chromed.

·
Administrator
14,299 Posts
Nice car.
i would be very concerned if the Bertone front fender badge is correct on left panel... or should it be right?
:)
Correct I believe on the left for RHD ... but is it different for LHD to RHD ... ???

Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what it's worth: The quarterlight frames are stainless (at least mine are, which are from an earlier car that yours) so those can be polished vs. chromed. However, the piece that the glass actually mounts to on the bottom edge of the glass is indeed chromed.
Thanks guys.
Yes, it's the chrome base that the glass fits into, I really need to get it stripped and re-chromed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As we're in full lockdown and it's -2deg C here in the UK, I've been getting on with lots of little jobs on the GTV:

New door handles fitted
Suspension raised 1"
front anti-roll bar modified to rose joints
New chrome quarter windows fitted
A cool set of old Carello spots modified & fitted (already wired & relayed)
Horn returned to the steering wheel boss from under the dash!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts