Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. just wanted to get introduced and up to speed here. I picked up a 91 162 s last summer and just got around to start working on it. all in all looks to be a very solid car. water pump was off when i got it along with all the hoses. PO told me rear main seal is leaking and i should do a timing belt.

So i pulled the motor to give it a full run through. it came with all the parts i would need but the water pump pulley. So i got all that back together and going to do main seal next. then timing belt and back in she goes. But may need to refur to some help when that time comes. cant remember how i had to undo the ac pump and alternator to get it out.

well here are some pics for you the day i brought it home.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Nice...Have you got a manual, or CarDisc? May be a good idea to get one if your doing your own work. I change timing belts every 30,000miles and water pumps everyother belt change. I love red. It's my 2nd favorite color...Black is first:)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Interesting....

To quote a weathered original American, as he pondered similar beautiful chrome intake runners one nice summer day outside of Blanding, Utah, "Nice horse"!!:D

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the hellos and pic of the alt. setup. Yes i have the book manuals. and so far very help full. And as for the intake runners. They are already polished along with the valve covers. next up clean and organize the engine bay. i dont like wire clutter.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
Hello everybody. just wanted to get introduced and up to speed here. I picked up a 91 162 s last summer and just got around to start working on it. all in all looks to be a very solid car. water pump was off when i got it along with all the hoses. PO told me rear main seal is leaking and i should do a timing belt.

So i pulled the motor to give it a full run through. it came with all the parts i would need but the water pump pulley. So i got all that back together and going to do main seal next. then timing belt and back in she goes. But may need to refur to some help when that time comes. cant remember how i had to undo the ac pump and alternator to get it out.

well here are some pics for you the day i brought it home.
Very nice. Welcome.
If you do the rear main, might as well check the clutch and replace that too.
Get a cardisc. It will be a great help.
Make sure to use silicone in the cracks of the rear crank cap. Might want to remove pan, put new gasket and cig. seals with silicone too. Seal it up, let it sit for a day or so and tighten down a little more. That should make a nice seal for everything.
Then put rear main seal in (no silicone).

Timing belt is fairly simple and is written up here by Alfisto Steve.

Welcome again!
Jason

·
Registered
248 Posts
Welome from the Netherlands,

Nice looking S (Qv), look after her they became rare....

Regards,

Erwin

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Welcome and nice work. If you need a water pump pulley I have a spare one. You are going to enjoy this car, I guarantee it! ;) One thing. Please replace those fuel rail hose clamps with the proper fuel injection hose clamps, those coolant hose clamps are not likely to seal up well enough to prevent leaks. The alternator brackets are kind of tricky to figure out how they go back in on the back side, I have scratched my head a few times on those too. Don't forget to bolt the metal lower coolant hose to the A/C compressor as well (or was that the alt or alt bracket, I can't remember now ;).
Charles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts