Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So I have been lurking and gleaning a ton of information off of this site for the since I bought my first Alfa and I figured I should introduce myself. My name is Cory and I am from albuquerque. I come from the Volvo tuning world (don't laugh) and I bought a 1978 alfa spider on impulse, much to my wife's chagrin, about six months ago. (I saw it on the side of the road and just bought it on the spot while she was at work. She came home and was like "what the hell is this?!?!") I love the thing, what an awesome car! totally enamored at this point. I look forward to many more Alfa years. I just want to say one thing to y'all, Seriously, thanks for all the help so far! I have learned a lot!

I have many years experience in the Automotive paint word so feel free to ask me any questions paint or paint prep related!

Thanks,
Cory

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,156 Posts
Hi Cory, welcome to the BB :) congrats on the Spider :cool:

Great that you can help with paint questions.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Welcome! Aren't Alfa Spiders a kick to drive? They don't need a ton of power to be a real blast. I'm hoping to pick up another Spider soon since I miss mine dearly.

I'm sure we'll have paint questions, we all would love to keep our looking their best.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. so fun to drive. I love that I can have a blast at or under the legal speed limit. Although she is currently laid out with clutch issues. I replaced master and slave cylinders but I cant seem to get it bled properly using the old wife in the car, me under it at the bleeder valve method. Motive pressure bleeder is on the way!

·
Registered
964 Posts
there`s nothing wrong w Volvo tuning....driving a chipped c30 myself...had many Volvos as my father was the one introducing the Volvo to the US in 56....welcome aboard!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those C30s are a blast aren't they? My last volvo project was a 1986 240 sedan. I turboed, camed and intercooled it (along with a laundry list of other modifications) and was running about 20psi on the turbo. It was a blast because It looked like I was a high school geography teacher rolling down the road but it would stay door to door with corvettes. I really should not have sold that one...

·
Registered
964 Posts
C30...I beat up on a MB 500SL recently....hung on to his tail as he tried to get away , came to a right hand turn (we were in left lane) when he made his mistake, he tapped the brakes, I changed to inside lane and past him....lol...
my buddy who was part of the team which built the P1800 and has been in the states since 170, recently built a P1800 w the recent 5 cyl engine having 500 hp.....and the 240 was a great racer , not to forget Tom Trana racing 544s....another friend "Peggen" Anderson won some of the the Volvo Turbo cup races in mid/late 80s w a 240.

Is Ray Tanner still the Volvo dealer in Albuquerque?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per-Gunnar_Andersson_(racing_driver)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats awesome! 240s, despite how they look, are actually very well balanced, lightweight, and rigid. No, Ray Tanner is not the volvo dealer here anymore, it's Ed Corely now. The dealership is a joke. Its one of those places that is always looking for a way to scam you.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome. Is your spider red like your avatar? I DD a Milano so you'll probably see it around.
Is your user name related the type of bike you ride or something else?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome. Is your spider red like your avatar? I DD a Milano so you'll probably see it around.
Is your user name related the type of bike you ride or something else?
Bike. I like to build up fixies and single speeds. (and regular bikes as well, its a bit of an obsession) No, the spider is not red, it is chocolate brown. when I illustrated that avatar brown just didn't look good so I changed it to red!

I think I have seen you cruising around the Milano before.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thats awesome! 240s, despite how they look, are actually very well balanced, lightweight, and rigid. No, Ray Tanner is not the volvo dealer here anymore, it's Ed Corely now. The dealership is a joke. Its one of those places that is always looking for a way to scam you.
too bad , the Tanners were nice people , knew the dad and the son...my dad set them up as dealers long ago when he was the distributor for the middle 16 states

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
In regards to the bike obsession, I guess it's another thing we have in common.
Right now I've got an old school Bianchi road bike and a Torpado that I converted to single speed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In regards to the bike obsession, I guess it's another thing we have in common.
Right now I've got an old school Bianchi road bike and a Torpado that I converted to single speed.
Thats awesome. I have a Jamis single speed, an old Trek that is fixed, a scattante single speed for the wife. A vintage raleigh cruiser and a couple of others. Like I said, its a disease, I have like 9 bikes.This is my latest bike project (the mid 1980s Trek)

And here is the Alfa! (I will try and get some better photos of her soon)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts