Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is going to put it on Ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Its just obscene what people are starting to pay for bay-window vans now too. I thought it was going to be confined to split-screeners but these are getting more and more popular. A good bay pick-up like that (and in that condition) here in Australia will fetch $7-10K. Crazy.

I guess they're still very practical vehicles though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, air cooled VW's were underated.

My older brother had a couple of these in the seventies, and they were rare then. But his brain caved in and he started buying Ford products. Too bad.

I'm still impressed these days by how much my High School buddies and I, comrades in alcohol, asked of our pedestrian VWs and how well they delivered. We clambered all over the Sierra Nevada mountains at relatively high speed in bugs and vans and always came back safe. And remember, we were listening to eight track. We use to take $100 baja bugs out in the dirt and TRY to roll them. We succeeded sometimes, but we were always held secure by God's particular grace for simple things.

(You decide)

They were great machines, because they were perfectly honest, and I would be happy to have a bug or a van today, but I'm afraid some egocentric flat-faced text-messaging butterball moron in an Escalade turning left into a Whataburger might kill me.

People who live humbly should be proud. I hope your neighbor's half-cab goes to a good home.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
People who live humbly should be proud..
I suspect it's the reason you said it but that's a pretty funny contradiction of terms. I sometimes miss my old Karmann Ghia but I think mostly because of the Italian-designed body. It was quite reliable for a vintage daily driver though.

Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts
What's that scary movie? "What Lies Beneath"? Where the womans husband, Harrison Ford, drowned his girlfriend in the lake and she comes back to haunt the wife? The wifes friend has a great looking Ghia in british racing green, I think, which is a great color for an older roadster with all the chrome bits. The Ghias were nice looking cars.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
These VW transporters are getting more rare all the time, with great efforts to keep them on the road. Of all the VW vans there were few of them, and prized by VW shops to haul parts. Most of them rusted away. The prices these get are in the high teens and beyond, depending on condition. This one has fold down sides, some of them have a fold down ramp on the side.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's that scary movie? "What Lies Beneath"? Where the womans husband, Harrison Ford, drowned his girlfriend in the lake and she comes back to haunt the wife? The wifes friend has a great looking Ghia in british racing green, I think, which is a great color for an older roadster with all the chrome bits. The Ghias were nice looking cars.

I think it is "What lies beneath" good movie. I am a big Harrison Ford fan like just about all movies and that was a real clean Ghia.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I still have nightmares about traveling in the late sixties and early seventies with my family in one of those "effers":eek:
Every year we would go on vacation in our bus (Mom, Dad and my three older sisters) for at least six weeks during the summer.

Then..... there was the year long road trip from Ky to all points! We were in Canada, Mexico, Guatamala, Belize and all over the US. We spent 2 weeks camping in the desert outside Tuscon while some ninny rebuilt the engine after #3 exhaust valve burned. (oil cooler blocked the air)
Ended up living in Mexico for almost two years after that:D

I wouldn't trade that time for anything:p

I love/hate Combis!

Paul

·
Registered
110 Posts
Two weeks! Yeah, what a ninny!

We were headed from Carson City to Laguna Seca for the races one weekend, when our #3 exhaust valve vaporized. Camped at a friends in Sacramento, and the next AM dropped the engine and popped in a new valve and we were on our way by about mid afternoon. That was the beauty of the VW. We didn't even have to stop drinking.

Of course, we didn't make the races, so we went rafting on the American, then went to drink Gold Cadillacs at a place up on HWY 49. It was called "Poor Red's", or "Poor Ed's". I can't remember. Fun place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts