Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: (this is about Sports & Exotics magazine. Sorry for any confusion)

This may be more a USA issue than global but its another bit of lousy news.

Just got the new issue of Sports & Exotics" and with it the notification the magazine would be closing its doors. It has been a great magazine that covered sports cars from the owners perspective more than anything else. They have done in depth articles on quite a few Alfas over the recent past. The closure was due to "distribution chain issues and the pressure of competing with digital media". What a shame

They are offering refunds to subscribers in lieu of opting for a switch over to their sister publication about classic cars in a very general sense. I'm not interested in Packards, brass cars, or 50s sleds so there was no choice for me other than a refund.

·
9,944 Posts
Just got the new issue of Sports and Classics" and with it the notification the magazine would be closing its doors. It has been a great magazine
Yea, I had the same reaction. I had narrowed my car magazine subscriptions to just "Sports Car Market" and "Sports and Classics". SCM, like most car magazines, lets you dream about being a zillionaire, but I liked that S&C was more for "the common man" / hands-on restorer.

They are offering refunds to subscribers in lieu of opting for a switch over to their sister publication about classic cars in a very general sense. I'm not interested in Packards, brass cars, or 50s sleds so there was no choice for me other than a refund.
Hmm, I didn't see the refund offer. I'll have to look for it, as Hemmings' magazine about Packards and brass cars doesn't interest me either. It's odd they'll continue publishing that magazine, but not "Sports and Classics".

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I too had trimmed down to only two publications; this one and the other which is a marque club publication. I got tired of all the magazines that essentially were trying to sell you new cars. I guess this was the curse S&E suffered from - only small advertisers who sold parts or services and none of the (all forms of) large car company funding we know the other magazines get under the table.

The phone number to call is 800 227-4373 ext 79550. They said the refund will come from the parent company and will take 8 - 10 weeks.

If there is another similar publication out there I would love to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I am confused. I subscribe to Sports and Exotic Car from Hemmings. I have seen nothing about this publication stopping.

Are you sure we are talking about a Hemmings Title?

JR

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am confused. I subscribe to Sports and Exotic Car from Hemmings. I have seen nothing about this publication stopping.

JR
Yes, the Hemmings publication. In the latest (May 2017) package there was a letter with the information. I almost threw it away myself as I usually don't pay much attention to magazine inserts.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

JR
The "Dear John letter" accompanies the May issue. Just got it yesterday.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Ah - I only get it electronically and am due to get the email that the May issue is available. Will see when they send that to me.

Thanks for the heads up.

JR

·
Registered
620 Posts
I too was saddened when the current HS&EC issue arrived with the letter announcing its demise. HS&EC is the best of the car magazines that I currently read: HS&EC, SCM, R&T, C&D, MT.

Unfortunately I was not completely surprised. When I spoke to the guy at the Hemmings booth at last year's Concorso, he indicated that the subscriber numbers were not high enough and suggested that I encourage people to subscribe. Sigh.

I am not interested in Hemmings offer to switch my subscription over to their Classic Car (American) publication.

+1 to the requests for pointers to other publications that have a editorial mix similar to that of HS&EC.

·
9,944 Posts
I am not interested in Hemmings offer to switch my subscription over to their Classic Car (American) publication.
Well, give it a few days! I tried calling their toll-free number this morning, was on hold for awhile, pressed "1" to leave a message, and was told the mailbox was full. So I guess most S&E subscribers aren't all that enthused about brass-era cars.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Bummer, I get that magazine too. I think it was really geared towards British cars, though I really enjoyed the vintage racing photos and comments.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I was not completely surprised. When I spoke to the guy at the Hemmings booth at last year's Concorso, he indicated that the subscriber numbers were not high enough and suggested that I encourage people to subscribe. Sigh.
Considering the audience for Hemmings' basic "motor news" book is shrinking more quickly than the audience for Sports and Exotics (which some might say is increasing in size), it sounds like they are in a death spiral and they have no clue how to get out of it. I can't think of one event I have been at in the NY/CT area where Hemmings had a presence at all.

·
9,944 Posts
Considering the audience for Hemmings' basic "motor news" book is shrinking more quickly than the audience for Sports and Exotics (which some might say is increasing in size)....
That's a good point. The average age of hands-on (*) auto enthusiasts has to be increasing across the spectrum of sportscar, hot rod, classic, brass-era, .... enthusiasts. But you would think that the readers of Hemmings' basic "motor news" book would be the oldest, while S&E readers would be younger. After all, people tend to collect the cars that were new when they were in high school (I certainly do). So it's odd that Hemmings chose to pull the plug on S&E.

-----------------------
I say "hands-on" to mean people who do their own work and drive their own cars to concours and other events. There is a younger (and much richer) demographic who collect cars for the prestige, but don't have much to do with them. These people have professional restorers maintain their cars, and the collection manager handles transporting their cars to events. "Sports Car Market" would appeal to this demographic, but "Hemmings Sports & Exotics" certainly doesn't.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I say "hands-on" to mean people who do their own work and drive their own cars to concours and other events. There is a younger (and much richer) demographic who collect cars for the prestige, but don't have much to do with them. These people have professional restorers maintain their cars, and the collection manager handles transporting their cars to events. "Sports Car Market" would appeal to this demographic, but "Hemmings Sports & Exotics" certainly doesn't.
Yep.

Art collectors vs. Car driver/maintainer/collectors.

Of course, there are some who people who fall into both categories, but they are surely a minority.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a good point. The average age of hands-on (*) auto enthusiasts has to be increasing across the spectrum of sportscar, hot rod, classic, brass-era, .... enthusiasts. But you would think that the readers of Hemmings' basic "motor news" book would be the oldest, while S&E readers would be younger. After all, people tend to collect the cars that were new when they were in high school (I certainly do). So it's odd that Hemmings chose to pull the plug on S&E.
I couldn't let this go and last night sent an email to Dave LaChance, the editor, letting him know that from a customer's perspective, the demographics just didn't square with their stated reasoning. I felt the Hemmings management team choked and left a good opportunity on the table by not selling off the publication and deciding to close it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I couldn't let this go and last night sent an email to Dave LaChance, the editor, letting him know that from a customer's perspective, the demographics just didn't square with their stated reasoning. I felt the Hemmings management team choked and left a good opportunity on the table by not selling off the publication and deciding to close it.
Why, were you going to buy it? If not you, who? Fewer and fewer people read print magazines these days which means there's less and less of a market for someone selling a print magazine business. If Hemmings wasn't able to make it work, why would anyone else have had better luck?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why, were you going to buy it? If not you, who? Fewer and fewer people read print magazines these days which means there's less and less of a market for someone selling a print magazine business. If Hemmings wasn't able to make it work, why would anyone else have had better luck?
I would suspect the cost of selling a publication is much less than closing it but I'm no Rupert Murdock. However I don't hold Hemmings up as an example of bleeding-edge publication acumen.

Maybe the parent organization needed a write-down and S&E fit the bill. Its still a lousy result for their customers and for those employees who don't transition to sister publications. Remember that they chose to close a publication with a growing customer base (stated by their Editor) and made limp attempts to expand their digital distribution (I was never even aware there was an alternative to a print version as an example). As a result, no one, either in paper or digitally, will receive this publication again. In an era where certain people like to receive their information digitally, Hemmings made little efforts to shift their base - they simply took the football and buried it in their yard.

·
9,944 Posts
None of us are challenging that fewer people read print magazines these days. But print magazines is the business that Hemmings is in, so they have to make the best of it.

The question is why they chose to shut down "S&E", which is growing and probably has a younger demographic, instead of one of their ancient car magazines whose readers are dying off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts