Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here i am again.... after replacing my starter and waterpump i found a new problem. its this grind i hear everytime i drive my alfa it hapens any time rpms are over 3000 although i can find places were if i put just enough throtle i wont hear it also if i am in neutral really have no clue what it is. my friend sort of stole my jack and stands so i havent had a chance to go under yet. i am planning on changing my trasmission oil to see if i find any signs of shrap metal or shavings im going to put some red line 75w 90 ns on it to see if it makes a difference. well the clutch feels great and none of the gears have any probs they all go in smoothly no prob only some grind when i shift into reverse too fast but that rarely happens. the tach is also dead but i dont really use it anymore. and the engine is extreamely healthy will not lie but it is a runner and likes to be pushed especially here in san mateo on the 280 on the extreame down hills i have honestly reached 105mph with out problems.... though i think i was probly about to red line because when my tach did work 80-85 mph would be around 4600-rpm
heres a vid i took on the grind

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7mKdNB54Gw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7mKdNB54Gw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I vote for looking at the fan/shroud, then motor mounts ( and then tranny mount )..

jeff

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
could be

sorry for the late reply but i dont think its the exhaust i will look tomorow though. because when it grings it grinds the actual chassi really hard i mean you can feel the grind thou the stearing weel and th gauges
oh and onother thing i dont have a fan shroud because one time on i was parked out side of a store and i put the key in and for what ever stupid reason i turned it with out the clutch in so it jumped and it hit the parking bump right on the sump guard and i guess thats when the noise started.... so prob is the motor mounts because every body says my sump is too low it rides on top of the guard rails

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... i turned it with out the clutch in so it jumped and it hit the parking bump right on the sump guard and i guess thats when the noise started.... so prob is the motor mounts because every body says my sump is too low it rides on top of the guard rails
That's the first thing you should have made clear, instead of just saying that you changed the water pump and starter and then a new problem developed. :rolleyes: The motor mounts are really important, and you should not be driving the car with this problem. There are plenty of threads explaining this, and how the fan explodes... (This situation is a time bomb and yours is ticking.)

Best regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts