Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 76 spider I bought back in the mid 80's. Love the car but it has been off of the road now since 2000, and only driven a few times in several years before that. I have a hard time finding anyone in my area that can do any work for me. My problem is that the car spits and sputters and wants to shut off when it gets hot. Once it cools down she seems to run good again. Thinking it was the thermo actuator for the fuel system we replaced that. I am thinking that it may be an ignition problem. Maybe the coil brakes down under high temp? If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced the same problem please let me know. answer here or email [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. I am not sure if it is a fuel related problem. and frankly not too sure on how to check it out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Help

I have a 76 spider I bought back in the mid 80's. Love the car but it has been off of the road now since 2000, and only driven a few times in several years before that. I have a hard time finding anyone in my area that can do any work for me. My problem is that the car spits and sputters and wants to shut off when it gets hot. Once it cools down she seems to run good again. Thinking it was the thermo actuator for the fuel system we replaced that. I am thinking that it may be an ignition problem. Maybe the coil brakes down under high temp? If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced the same problem please let me know. answer here or email [email protected]
So where are you located ? That would help.........Ed K:cool:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Gotta agree with Ed K.........

What country are you in? Maybe someone from that area could help out?

:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in central PA. I have contacted many shops that claim to work on imports but none understand the Spica injection system and I don't want to have someone experimenting on it. Although I am still almost convinced that it is an ignition problem (coil, condensor.....)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey Greg,

Have you tried draining the fuel tank and add fresh fuel.
Changed the fuel filter .
Changed the spark plugs.
Maybe also put on some new distributor leeds?
Might also be a good idea to change the engine oil and oil filter.
Try the basic things first.
Spica fuel injection ? sorry,we have 2 carbys here in Australia.
Maybe when you have tried all the above,its the time to give it to someone who knows.

Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done most of these things. This problem was occuring when I garaged it out of frustration several years ago. I think I am going to put a new coil in. I believe it may be braking down when it gets too hot. The coil is very hot to the touch when this problem occurs. I also found that the condensor mounted next to the coil is loose and may not be grounded properly. I am not sure if it needs a ground or not. Who knows maybe I will luck out and this will cure her so I can go forward in having a new clutch p-plate and t-o bearing installed.
Hey Greg,

Have you tried draining the fuel tank and add fresh fuel.
Changed the fuel filter .
Changed the spark plugs.
Maybe also put on some new distributor leeds?
Might also be a good idea to change the engine oil and oil filter.
Try the basic things first.
Spica fuel injection ? sorry,we have 2 carbys here in Australia.
Maybe when you have tried all the above,its the time to give it to someone who knows.

Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mounted with the coil is a small silver canister that looks like a condensor and it is a bit loose. I assmed it was a condensor but may be the resistor you are speaking of. Maybe I will just get a new one as well as a coil and go from there. Years ago I had an old VW bug that acted the same way my Alfa is acting and it was when it got hot. The coil would actually have oil boiling out of it and then the car would run rough until the coil would cool down. Who knows maybe I will get lucky and find out that my Alfa is doing the same thing.
Thanks for your input,
Greg

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
my 74 spider has a problem with backfireing through the carbs occasionally, its usually the timing has slipped to retarded. never a fuel issue, only ignition. there are two types of ignition coil, the bosch "blue" coil and the marelli. the bosch dosnt use a ballast resistor, the marelli does. the resistor is to reduce the voltage to the coil when running and is bypassed when starting. the bosch is a 12 volt coil to begin with. the silver can , if it has only one lead is a capacitor used for noise filtering.
cliff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Cliff,
my 74 spider has a problem with backfireing through the carbs occasionally, its usually the timing has slipped to retarded. never a fuel issue, only ignition. there are two types of ignition coil, the bosch "blue" coil and the marelli. the bosch dosnt use a ballast resistor, the marelli does. the resistor is to reduce the voltage to the coil when running and is bypassed when starting. the bosch is a 12 volt coil to begin with. the silver can , if it has only one lead is a capacitor used for noise filtering.
cliff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Cliff,
My car has the bosch coil. I will check the timing and see how that is. Will the timing retard the spark as the engine heats up? My problem only seams to exist when it is good and hot. I also have noticed that I have excessive backfiring through the exhaust when coming off of the throttle. Maybe it is due to the same issue.
Thanks Again,
Greg

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
My problem only seams to exist when it is good and hot. I also have noticed that I have excessive backfiring through the exhaust when coming off of the throttle. Maybe it is due to the same issue.
That or you're getting a hot flood situation or poor fuel cut on decel where there's too much fuel dumping into the cylinders when hot and it's loading the pipes.

Not talking vapor lock or the like, but actual excessive raw fuel dumping into the cylinders due to heat affecting something in the system.

That'll make for some sexy flames out the exhaust (or TB(s) if the timing is whacked enough)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts