Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 S4 Spider, redo of top end due to coolant leak in head gasket. Thought I'd do valves while I'm at it ... lap them in and such. Bought Reinz gasket kit for top end from IAP and have 8 guide seals. Can't quite see how to remove old seals from guides ... any Help? Guide seal looks like it has ring retainer securing it to valve guide ... how do you slide this ring and the underlaying seal off the guide?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
you talking removing them with the head already off? That won't be a problem once valves are taken out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep ... Head is off, all cleaned up, lapped in valves with old seals so as not to worry about damage to lip of seal from in and out of valves. Can't quite see what is holding seals on guides but they sure are on there ... all I can see is the inner circumference of the actual valve guide and what appears to be a metal ring, 2-3mm wide by feel, to the outter circumference of the seal with the seal itself sandwiched between guide and ring. Looks to be press fit using the elasticity of the seal. Exhaust seals are very brittle and the one on cyl 4 fell apart as I was pokin around in there to determine where seal bottoms out over guide. Am I right to assume I need a tool that will catch below this ring where seal bottoms out to pull ring and seal up and off guide? Another tool needed to insert new seal and old ring ... press fit back onto guide?
Thanks for your reply "spiderserie4"

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
without any special tools you can try using a long thin screw driver to prise the metal tab apart or if you are feeling steady use a dremmel with a cutting cylinder bit to cut through the metal then just lift them off. I've always been able to get a hook under the seal and walk it off the guide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replies ... was using a dental pick to remove as much of the rubber seal as I could to loosen the ring up. I see now with your help that it is indeed a press fit ...albeit tight and that it is intended to slip off over the guide. Almost 20 yrs on the exhaust side maybe the rubber has froze onto the guide ( heat and varnish). Will modify some old pliers to fit down into the tappet well to get the "pull" I'll need to get them off.
Thanks Again Alfistis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts