Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 95Q detailed today by a local shop that also did the engine bay. All looked nice but when I drove the car onto the highway at about 2500 rpm in second or third gear the engine would "take off" and accelerate without stopping. I immediately took it out of gear but the engine revved up to the 7K redline before falling back again. It would repeat this at or about the same speed/rpm continuously. During all of these incidents, my feet were off all pedals. It appeared to feel like the gas pedal was moving downward, as if my foot was on it.

This is pretty scary as you can appreciate and have never experienced anything like it in the 7 months of ownership. I have to believe it has something to do with the detail shop messing with the engine as part of their detail. I may well have the car flat bedded to my mechanic tomorrow but in the meantime, anyone experience this or have a thought?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Check the throttle cable bellhousing and the plastic cover that slips over the top of it, you remove a single Phillips head screw, the two smaller hoses (one from oil separator, one from IAC) are under the bracket, remove the bracket and remove the plastic cover. Check operation of the accel pedal and throttle cable to make sure it moves freely and snaps back under spring tension. Sounds like something in that mechanism is either binding or mis-adjusted

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cruise control? Genius! Thanks. The detail guys must have turned it on when doing the car but: I have not light confirming that it is on. Is there one? If so, I would think that the dash would report a bulb out.

However, I would have thought that the car would have reset when it was shut off and started again. Apparently not.

Thanks guys. Kept me from a pissed off, frustrated sleepless night..

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
no, no light on the dash on either of my 24V cars.
The Cruise control is not well engineered in this car. Its hard to tell when it's ON vs OFF on the stalk switch and the 'set' pushbutton can be a bit intermittent. For those reasons, I leave it OFF in So Cal driving -- too much traffic and too much hassle
I think it does reset but not 100% sure.....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It doesn't turn off with brake applied? And then it needs something like a resume button to start again?

I haven't used cruise in mine, or cruise in anything in as long as I can remember. So going on memory of days gone by!

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Goats may have a point concerning the throttle bellcrank. I had a similar overrev problem with my LS. On the end of the throttle cable there's a rubber boot or nipple. On my car the boot broke off and jammed the throttle open at about 5000rpm. Not related to any servicing or cleaning. Once I took that black plastic cover off the problem was obvious. Solution was simple- just removed what was left of boot. Hope your solution is so easy.
John

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I had to replace the throttle cable on my 1st 12V 164S because the cable on the bell crank end was frayed and jamming in the housing causing the engine to rev, but from the description of the problem, it didn't sound to me like that was the problem. Worth checking that area anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts