Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'71 GTV 1750 USA

I just got the starter rebuilt and the PO didn't have the right bolts. At least that is my assumption because I don't have the shoulder bolt that the manual shows. I'm ordering one of those but can someone please tell me the correct size for the other two bolts?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you quadrifolio. Are coarse threads OK do you think? And does the grade matter?

·
Premium Member
22,361 Posts
Starter bolts are 8 x 1.0, fine thread. Doesn't have to be the strongest bolt on earth, but 8.8 or 10.9 or whatever is standard. Yes 8 x 1.5 (coarse) will work, but it's not what Alfa specified.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,341 Posts
cabikefreak:

Are you familiar with Hillco Fastener at 7522 Park Ave. in Garden Grove? Hillco carries a good selection of metric fasteners, and should have 8mm x 1.0 nuts-n-bolts.

Not that I would ever do this, but you could also substitute 5/16-24 hardware available from DeNaults. 5/16" equals 7.94mm, so it's pretty close. And, as long as you use the correct shoulder bolt in the central hole, pretty much anything will work in the two outer holes.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

Jay - I think you've told me about Hilco's before but I haven't gone up there yet. I always find myself looking for one or two things at a time. Have you ever seen a list of the common fastener size/pitch/lengths on your car so you could go purchase a bunch of spares all at one time? Not likely to happen I shouldn't think...

·
Super Moderator
11,341 Posts
Have you ever seen a list of the common fastener size/pitch/lengths on your car so you could go purchase a bunch of spares all at one time? Not likely to happen I shouldn't think...
When I was reassembling my Sprint GT, I got a bags of 6mm and 8mm lockwashers, as well as 6x1.0 and 8x1.25 nuts from Hillco. But bolts and screws are tougher - pretty much everything in an Alfa is 6 or 8mm in diameter, but of course the lengths and cap styles vary (hex vs phillips). And you do run across the odd fine-threaded fastener, like the 8x1.0's that secure the starter. So yea, I made a lot of trips to DeNaults and Hillco just to buy a few items.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts