Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i have a 92 164l and recently my windows have started acting up. They will allow you to put them down but when you try to put them back up will go to a certain point and stop and make a loud grinding noise. I then have to help them past that point and they will continue going up. Any help?:confused:

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
How many windows doing that? It is a stripped gear in window regulator and no repair so you will need to replace window regulator assembly(ies) if more than one doing that grinding.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
It can help if you lube the window gasket at the rear of the window, where the drive mechanism forces the window pane against it as the pane rises. After our recent trip through a lot of dusty countryside in the SW, the windows in the LS became reluctant to go up worth a ****, sometimes making sort of a rasping sound (gears jumping?). After using a little lube (don't remember what I used, maybe silicon spray on a rag), they have worked just fine since.

I believe that because of the way the pane is forced at an angle at this seal, occasional lubing is essential for long life of the mechanism, and that mechanisms have been changed prematurely because the seals didn't get lubed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
windows

I have 3 that are doing it right now sure the 4th will start soon. with my luck.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
That's a shame. They aren't cheap new, even if available. Each window has a different regulator unit, if I remember correctly. It's one of the few things that's good about having a totaled out car in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
G'Day Guys,

I don't know if this applies but:

When I bought my 164 the drivers window tended to jamb. The previous owner just forced it up or wound it down a little then forced it :(

I expected stripped gears and pulled it apart to check. To my surprise the gears were ok.

Inside the regulator the cable winds on and off a drum with a spiral groove.

The problem with mine was that the cable was slack and jumping out of the groove, sometimes wrapping over its self and jambing.

The solution? Simple, rewind the cable on the drum and tension the cable. There is a tension adjustment on the cable.

So mine is now fixed but makes some unpleasant noises (kinked cables) due to the abuses of the previous owner.

On mine

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Try lubing the slides/seals first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
windows

ok well i tried lubing the side no such luck so i went ahead and took apart the drivers door panel and took all the workings out i will dicet in the morning and see if it is the cable might very well be cause i do feel alot of slack. Needed to take it apart anyway gives me a good reason to put the new door speakers in. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I just did my new 164 passenger front tonight it is really easy. It did the same griding sound now I have to do her LS drivers front.

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
G'Day Guys,

I don't know if this applies but:

When I bought my 164 the drivers window tended to jamb. The previous owner just forced it up or wound it down a little then forced it :(

I expected stripped gears and pulled it apart to check. To my surprise the gears were ok.

Inside the regulator the cable winds on and off a drum with a spiral groove.

The problem with mine was that the cable was slack and jumping out of the groove, sometimes wrapping over its self and jambing.

The solution? Simple, rewind the cable on the drum and tension the cable. There is a tension adjustment on the cable.

So mine is now fixed but makes some unpleasant noises (kinked cables) due to the abuses of the previous owner.

On mine
Your early OZ model got electric or manual windows? Guess all 164s have power windows just checked parts CD.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea it is power. anyone know where i might beable to get them i have priced them new i found about $185 is this right?

·
Registered
223 Posts
yea it is power. anyone know where i might beable to get them i have priced them new i found about $185 is this right?

Try www.sandiegoalfaromeo.com, genuine alfa parts window regulator $115.25. Good guy - I bought my new Alfa brand CAT from him.

Also, I had window issues and replaced all the switches with switch from an early 90's model Audi (ebay) - perfect fit and the windows came back to life.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
You were lucky all the ones I have had to deal with of my own and other peoples cars already had stripped nylon gear for cable drum.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
didnt work

ok well i took it all apart today and well as my luck goes im screwed. the gears are stripped inside so its time to try find some.:mad:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have to pick up a parts car this weekend I will grab them for you if you need them? Witch ones did you need?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
right now i need the drivers and both rear passanger but i was just going to order 4 new ones from san diego parts at that price its a steal. thank you though. I could use a front passanger side turn signal lens or whole assembly. mine got destroyed when i ran over a dear in the road. (another atory).

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
I'm really surprised that you would need the rear window mechanisms, as those darn things hardly get used. In the 13 years I've owned my 91S, the rear windows have worked just fine each time, and same for the 94LS.

I would sure check for some other sort of problem causing these failures, something causing extreme drag in the system, maybe? Although it does appear that the gears, being plastic, are too weak. LOL, were they built by the outfit which made the plastic stepper gears?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i have 2 children and they find that they must see how many times they can put the windows up and down when the ac was not working but i fixed that problem ac works now. also it makes the same sound as the front one that i took apart yesterday so i am assuming same problem. And as a final not my car has 216,000 miles on it and i am the 3rd owner so not sure how they were used previously.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts