Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year old son just inherited a non-running 1984 Alpha Spider for his birthday. We hope to have it running by the time he is 16 (mom sure would love to drive it before then!) We have never owned anything like it and need help! It was running a year ago. It has new gas, new fuel pump. We can't get a spark at the spark plug - that seems to be the main problem. We smell fuel when we crank it over, so it is getting fuel. We replaced the coil and there was no change, it will not fire. It cranks fine it just won't fire. Any help for these neophyte Alpha owners will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Welcome to the board!

It seems like you have a lot of speculation as to what is wrong with your Alfa. Where are you located? Perhaps finding an Alfa mechanic in your area to properly diagnose the problem would be better...then if you can repair it yourself.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Welcome to the bb but you only get one free pass to call your car an Alpha instead of Alfa. As far as your dilema goes you may want to start with the basic cap and rotor, plugs and wires, These probably need to be replaced anyhow and there's a chance you may get life back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lilspyder here again

Hi there, lilspyder here again. I wanted to add some info about our Alfa(spelled correctly now:eek:).

We installed a new cap and wires. We are getting no spark from new Bosch coil to cap. Where do we go now? Ignition switch? Computer switch?

Also, we are using an Alfa Romeo Workshop manual and there is a troubleshooting section where "engine will not fire" is located. The abbreviations O/C, S/C & HT are used. What the heck do these mean?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
What condition are plugs in? Pull plugs and see color and check for wetness or oil.
Also I think those abbreviations should be in the back of the book. I should know them but I've been watching the first weekend of college football and can't quite focus.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I believe the 84 has the flywheel sensors, two of them. They have been known to go bad and if they are the car will get no spark.
Where are you located? Someone local to me drove over in their Spider and we swapped em out of his car onto mine and we found out real quick that that was the answer!!!:D:D

Oh yeah...welcome to Alfas, who wants to bet a GTV6 is in the driveway within 2 years?!?!?!;)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Welcome to the AlfBB!

I suggest you post this on the Spider Forum, to bring more attention to it and hopefully a solution! I do not have an early Bosch injected car like yours, ours are '91 and '94 series. There are some fellows who are very knowledgeable on the L-jet Bosch injected Spiders, but they tend to hang out on the Spider Forum.

Most basic, I would verify that the battery is good (you need at least 12 volts cranking), and the post and ground connections are clean and tight.

Don't give up on it! Alfas are worth the effort, and run very reliably with the right care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts