Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try and fix my oil pan guard. It has been pushed up against the oil pan, so it makes some racket at times. I tried hammering it back into shape using a small 2-3 lb engineer's hammer while mounted to the engine, but all I did was bust one of the mounting points and didn't really get it much into shape.

Any other suggestions on how to try and fix it? Guess it is either beat on it with a hammer or try and find a better guard.

I figure I will weld the broken piece if I get it to a better semblance of shape. If anyone has a guard in good shape, and can provide measurements, or other info, it might help me in this process.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,537 Posts
If you take it off the car it's reasonably easy to get back into shape by whaling on it with a hand sledge for a while. As you found, doesn't work so good when it's mounted.

APE in Tracy probably has a bunch of these lying around, too, if yours is busted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I beat mine back into shape by laying it in the crotch of a rolled curb to use as a form for the curve, and wailing on it with a 10 lbs sledge. A few more whacks to "fine tune" it to get the bolt holes to line up.

Very satisfying work.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
check your motor mounts

The bottom of my oil pan was resting directly on the sump guard, so that any time I needed to remove the guard it was next to impossible to re-install it without unbolting the forward control arm bushings first. I soon discovered my motor mounts were shot, and that was the reason the oil pan was contacting the sump guard. After installing new motor mounts, the bottom of the pan regained about 1/2" of clearance above the guard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Norseman, I wondered about that myself. It seems to hit on stuff more than I would have guessed. I should probably do a few things, like

1. Check tire size and air pressure. They look good on air, but if tires are low on air, or are too small a size, would make it easier to drag.

2. Check motor mounts. I think I saw somewhere what to look for in checking the mounts, so probably ought to print that out and compare. Probably should check out the trans mounts as well.

Any other things to check that might contribute to dragging? I guess worn shocks might let it bounce a bit more than normal, but handling seems fine to me. I could stand to loose 20-30 lbs, that would probably help a little as well.

But I will also try and massage my guard so it is not contacting the oil pan or anything else it is not supposed to. Thanks Gubi and 34acd for your suggestions as well.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Norseman, I wondered about that myself. It seems to hit on stuff more than I would have guessed. I should probably do a few things, like
That's the trade-off though, isn't it? With new motor mounts the guard drops the ground clearance by a good inch. When you're only talking 4" or whatever anyhow, that's a big difference. So you go around whacking the guard on stuff that without you'd clear. Or you take it off and drive around blissfully skimming over that stuff - until you don't.

I run without mine for that reason - someday I'll pay for this decision. :boat:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts