Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Hoping to gain some wisdom before venturing into the world of fixing my lighting problems on my 69 gtv. Here is what is going on:

1. No signals, nothing seems to work here including the return spring on the stock. No sign of light at all from what I can see.

2. Front passenger headlight is very dim, could be a simple burned bulb?

3. Rear drivers side, side light not turning on

4. Fog lights not working

How should I go about trouble shooting these problems? Do I need to disconnect the battery before doing anything?

Thanks,

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
I would clean and check every ground wire first.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
New guy question, how do I find the ground wires? Thanks!
Some basic stuff... The car's body is ground... The battery's negative terminal is grounded to the body at the front bulkhead... Make sure these connections are secure and corrosion free.

The lights have black ground wires. Make sure the spade terminals at the light fixtures are clean and corrosion free. Then check the other end of the black ground wires where they are secured to the body... In general, Behind the front grill for the front lights and on the back side of the tail light assemblies for the rears.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The fuse box is a good place to look.

-Are the old bullet style fuses seated correctly and is there (prolly is) any corrosion or play in the spring steel holders that retain them?
-Check for voltage at the relevant fuses when the car is running. This will tell you if there is excessive voltage drop.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
More basics....
- pull and check the fuses to make sure they aren't blown
- pull and check the bulbs to make sure the filaments aren't burned out
- clean the contact surfaces of fuses and bulbs with steel wool
- the turn signal stalk return uses a mechanical spring and has nothing to do with the electrical lighting issues you are experiencing
- disconnect the battery while working around the fuse box to prevent accidental short circuits while cleaning the contacts
- if you don't have a volt-ohm meter, you can test a non-working circuit with elements ( such as a bulb) from a known good circuit. If the good element doesn't work, then the problem is else where.
- a basic circuit consists of a bulb, socket, switch, fuse, power supply wire and ground wire. Through process of elimination, find the root cause of the problem... Lack of power... Poor ground... Bad switch, bulb or fuse...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for all the help on this. I feel like such a newbie but I guess I have to start somewhere. I am about to go out and see what I can decipher to be the problem. I drove the car this morning and noticed that when the car is at idle for a longer period of time and I press the brake the engine wants to turn off, might be part of the problem...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your last entry sounds much like the brake booster(s) may be on vacation..worth checking out
chuck
Will have that checked when I take it in for its second day at the Alfa Spa! Should be taking it in within the next 2 weeks. Thought the brakes were a little harder to use than they should be...

Thank You!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Small success!!! Was able to get the passenger side light on after doing some cleaning in the fuse box under the steering wheel. The fuses looked pretty clean but one of the black ones (#8 I think) had a bit of bend to the metal strip, I straightened it out but sadly the black fuses are the only ones I did not find spares of in the glove box.

A small step forward but felt great to see the light come on!

Cheers,

Roger

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
There is a comprehensive description on the Alfetta forum (thread is called Electrical preventative maintenance, just a week or so ago) of steps to improve the reliability of the entire electrical system. The subject car was a GTV6, with ECU etc, but the procedures remain valid. Combine the list with the advice given here, and you might make all sorts of unexpected improvements...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a comprehensive description on the Alfetta forum (thread is called Electrical preventative maintenance, just a week or so ago) of steps to improve the reliability of the entire electrical system. The subject car was a GTV6, with ECU etc, but the procedures remain valid. Combine the list with the advice given here, and you might make all sorts of unexpected improvements...
Thank you! Will check it out now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the color of the fuses matter? Just noticed I can not find black fuses online? Also, are they directional, negative and positive side? Sorry for all the basic questions guys just want to do the work correctly.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Do the color of the fuses matter? Just noticed I can not find black fuses online? Also, are they directional, negative and positive side? Sorry for all the basic questions guys just want to do the work correctly.
Typically I've seen them in white or red plastic. They should have a number in the plastic indicating the maximum amperage rating before failing (check under the metal strip). They can be installed in either direction. Check the fuse panel cover or wiring diagram for recommended fuse sizes. Nothing will prevent you from putting in an under or over rated fuse. If you use an under rated fuse, it may fail prematurely; if over rated, you risk exceeding the capacity of another component in the circuit (such as wiring) and resulting in its failure (and not the fuse) in an over-amperage or short circuit.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It would be helpful to know...
- What year is your GTV?
- Is this a new problem? Or are you dealing with issues inherited from a prior owner?
- Is the wiring and electrical system fairly original and unmolested? Or jumbled spaghetti?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would be helpful to know...
- What year is your GTV?
- Is this a new problem? Or are you dealing with issues inherited from a prior owner?
- Is the wiring and electrical system fairly original and unmolested? Or jumbled spaghetti?
The car is a "69"
Just purchased the car from the original owner and ironing out the wrinkles that had not been addressed by previous owner.

Wiring seems fairly original from what I can tell. Take into account, I am doing all the work now just to get things working correctly will likely replace the full harness when I do the full restoration of the car.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you like to do things yourself, then investing in a circuit tester similar to this will save you heaps of time and frustration with any electrical gremlins your car has. You can apply either power or ground right at the component so that you instantly know what the issue is.

I had so many niggling little problems with lights, horn etc, that I completely rewired them, replacing wires, relays, connectors and redoing all of the grounds. Everything now works perfect and it only took a day.

Autel Powerscan PS100 Electrical Circuit Tester | eBay

Cheers,
Wazza.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you like to do things yourself, then investing in a circuit tester similar to this will save you heaps of time and frustration with any electrical gremlins your car has. You can apply either power or ground right at the component so that you instantly know what the issue is.

I had so many niggling little problems with lights, horn etc, that I completely rewired them, replacing wires, relays, connectors and redoing all of the grounds. Everything now works perfect and it only took a day.

Autel Powerscan PS100 Electrical Circuit Tester | eBay

Cheers,
Wazza.
I think a tester like this would be good! I love DIY projects my problem is I grew up in the 90's racing bicycles and not learning about cars so now I am a little behind on my knowledge or confidence when it comes to working on what has truly been my dream car. I just made some hand wound speaker cables so I guess doing some wire work on the Alfa should not be that big of a jump for me!

·
Super Moderator
9,944 Posts
Nothing will prevent you from putting in an under or over rated fuse. If you use an under rated fuse, it may fail prematurely; if over rated, you risk exceeding the capacity of another component in the circuit (such as wiring) and resulting in its failure (and not the fuse) in an over-amperage or short circuit.
When bellagt writes "Nothing will prevent you from putting in an under or over rated fuse" I think what he means is that fuses are all the same size, regardless of amperage. So you can plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a. But that doesn't mean that it's OK to plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a.

odanota said:
will likely replace the full harness when I do the full restoration of the car.
I haven't seen your harness, nor do I know what you want to achieve in your full restoration. But my guess is that your harness is perfectly fine and the cause of your electrical glitches is bad grounds, failing switches, corroded bulbs & sockets,... Unless a PO has messed with it, the harness is usually the most reliable part of the system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When bellagt writes "Nothing will prevent you from putting in an under or over rated fuse" I think what he means is that fuses are all the same size, regardless of amperage. So you can plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a. But that doesn't mean that it's OK to plug a 10a fuse into a circuit that should have a 5a.

I haven't seen your harness, nor do I know what you want to achieve in your full restoration. But my guess is that your harness is perfectly fine, and the cause of your electrical glitches is bad grounds, failing switches, ...
You will most likely see the car sooner rather than later, just have to get a few glitches worked out. I will only place the correct fuses in the fuse box thanks for clarifying though. Is there a chart that shows were all the grounds are plus what the correct fuse goes into each circuit? I am going to grab some contact cleaner and see what I can clean up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts