Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - this is my first post to this forum and I hope you find it interesting and maybe you can help. A few months ago I bought what was described as a basket case ex-racer Giulietta spider - I might the crazy but somehow it captured my imagination with the thrill of restoring it back to original racing condition. It's a 1959 Normale model with serial number 1495-06262 and engine 1315 45081.

I've found records of the car racing in three races between 1969 and 71 at Charlotte, Bridgehampton and Virginia International, scoring a 5th place in SCCA FP class. It was driven by William C Schuldt of North Carolina and Maryland with co-drivers Bob Beasley and Andrew Bach. Willie seems to have had a long but sporadic racing career starting in 59 and including the Targa Florio in 62 alongside such luminaries as Sir Sterling Moss and Graham Hill (I betray my English roots) and then driving a GTV and Corvettes in the mid seventies and then hill climbs in the eighties. The car and Willie were sponsored by Alfa Omega of Lexington Maryland - most likely his own Alfa garage. I bought the car from another driver called Eric Young who apparently raced the car at Summit Point in the seventies also in SCCA FP class, Eric bought it directly from Alfa Omega. I'm told that Willie worked with a great mechanic called Jon Edwards of California Maryland - that's pretty much all I have.

So, now the cry for help, does anyone know more about or can even remember the car, its drivers, or the sponsor? It would be great to bring some of it's history back to life - after 30 years of standing in a field I think it deserves it! Here's some pictures as it is now and how it was in better days.

Many thanks

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
If the car was raced in Virginia area, Pete VanderVate may know something about it. Not sure if he's on the BB, but he "is" on FaceBook.

·
Super Moderator
11,565 Posts
A worthwhile rescue. Thanks. (I love these cars having raced them and owned one for 49 years now from new.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts