Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was hoping to get some help regarding wiring color codes and component identification for the 6C Freccia D'Oro I am working on.
The car was a "new" wiring harness of unknown origin. I also have the wiring diagram from a photocopy of the owners manual.
Unfortunately, the diagram has no color codes, and the components are only identified by two letter codes in Italian.
Some of the components in the diagram are quite obvious due to the illustrations (Starter , Generator, Headlamps, etc) but the bulk of the instrument panel switches and gagues are simple circles with the cryptic (to me) two letter codes.
If anyone knows of a more descriptive wiring diagram or an English translation I would be happy to hear.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
What are these 'two letter codes'? It might just be that they are (very) abbreviated abbreviations :rolleyes: of words which might be recognisable to those of us who speak Italian. I'll help if I can. I'd also hazard a guess that this is one of the few diagrams that Papajam has yet to produce!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They ARE in fact very brief abbreviations from the Italian. From memory (my diagram is at work) the Starter is shown as "Mo" which I assumed to be "Motore" or something like that... The Coil is shown as "Bo" for "Bobina" but with only two letters to go by it gets pretty tricky.

I think I will post a scan of the diagram that I have to see if it will help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a bit of progress this week...
In reference to the wiring diagram image I am still trying to identify the rectangle labeled "Ms" which I believe is a turn signal relay. Do we think that the circle marked "Pi" is the dashboard flasher bulb ?
Any idea on what the connector marked "Ds" is for ?

I guess that's it for now. I'll check in next week with more results and questions.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Abbreviations from Uso e Manutenzione 6C2500 3a Serie page 43

It appears that you may have only page 44?

Ms = Morsetti di presa per servizi diversi (screw-block connector for misc applications ... which is why there are at least two variations shown)

Pi = Presa di corrente per lampada di ispezione (current supply socket for inspection light)

Ds = Deviatore per segnalazione acustiche e luminose (horn & light controls in steering wheel center)

I can share a pdf scan of the whole booklet if you like. It was done by someone else using a photocopy from Alfa Romeo archives. It is perhaps a copy of a copy? Not perfect, but the wiring diagram is a bit easier to read than the reduced-size image that you shared. Other pages should have additional helpful information for you? The file is 3.3 MB in size, so not huge at all. Send me an email or PM ... with your email address to confirm you wish to have it.

Best of luck,

John

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much John.

I have a photocopy of a photocopy of this manual at work. You may be right, I may be missing the page with the key to the diagram. I will check on Monday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back at work this morning. I see that my wiring diagram is on page 146 of my "copy of a copy" and no missing pages to either side.

I will try to post a pic from here at work.

This is a picture of my "Ms" and what i believe to be a wiper relay?

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The relay picture that I posted doesn't show it but the terminals are marked "Guida", "S", and"5", there is also a terminal that appears to be ground.

"Guida" can be guide, driving, lead, direction, or conductor (according to the Google translation tool)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Relay

The path of the wiring is not 100% clear in the diagram I have ... and I don't know which car you are working on ... nor if the diagram applies to it. The diagram I have (which appears to be essentially the same as yours) appears to show the relay as being most likely the "Ds" component (Deviatore = relay ... although I normally hear "relay" (reh-lai) from Italians when they speak about these parts today). The diagram does not show the ground terminal being grounded and it does not show "Guida" but has an unmarked terminal connecting to a point very close to the <posto di guida> (driver's position).

It is my reading that the terminal connects to the Cs switch near the steering wheel. That "Commutatore" switch may be a rotational switch that selects between two functions for what we think of normally as a horn button. It appears that the driver can perhaps select functions of the button to either honk the horn or flash the headlamps? I can't tell which is which but the "S" and "5" terminals connect to the right side fuse box ... and the headlamps. This circuit also connects to a terminal "57" on the right side fuse block and the main "Commutatore" (ignition switch) on the dash.

I'd guess that the "57" circuit connects to the "5" terminal and that the "S" terminal goes to the "Scatola destra" (right side fuse box) but that is only a slightly biased "guess" based on the possibility that the relay is truly marked for the purpose.

Buon divertimento!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So are we thinking that the dashboard switch marked "S" on the knob, labeled #9 in the handbook, with the description "Commutatore per segnalazione acoustiche o luminose" is a selector that allows the horn button to either activate the horns or alternately flash the high beams ? If this is so, does the pictured relay function as the electrical part of this ?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Circuit not yet studied completely

I cannot take time to print it out and read the whole thing with the idea to clarifying where there are connections and where there are none, but my earlier read of the circuit is that the relay activates the headlamps only.

I will try to get a better scan of the wiring diagram but this may take a bit of time.

Please ... Which specific car are you working on?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts