Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Help with Fispa fuel filter/regulator

22K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  classicalfas 
#1 ·
Help please...:confused:

I added fuel to my tank today for the first time and I have a leaking Fispa fuel filter/regulator. It seems to be coming out the top from a very small hole (vent or breather?) located in between the two of the four screws that connect the two major sections together (top and bottom). When I try to disconnect the line to remove the unit, or when I undo the glass bowl, fuel continues to pour out the intake line as though it was under pressure. I have a stock Bendix electric fuel pump and the key is off!

Could this be a siphoning effect? How do I stop the flow? I would like to remove the unit to disassemble it to find the source of the leak. I can't remove anything because gas continues to pour out.

I have the filter that is also a regulator. When I assembled it I wasnt quite sure which way the diaphragm went in. It has a little aluminum cup on one side and it could fit one way or the other. Does anyone know how it is assembled or better yet have a photo or diagram of this assembly? I have all the manuals but it doesn't show one exactly like mine.

Specs:
• 1960 Giulietta Veloce Spider.
• Complete ground-up restoration.
• Not started yet.
• More info at: My Veloce restoration nearing completion. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

See less See more
#31 ·
My diaphragm is the least of my worries and the bowl seal is soft enough as well. I need a ball bearing, mine is gone hasn't been one in there for over 35 years! Does anyone know the size? I wouldn't mind having another yellow plastic spring and ball keeper. Also the main body that has the 2 hose outlets would be on my wish list as well. I wonder how this will change the way my car runs when I fix all this?

#32 ·
Both diaphragm AND bowl seal are the parts that will fail very quickly with todays fuel Brad. The FRB11 was made for gasoline, not todays fuel which will harden the diaphragm, alter adjustment and eventually crack as it hardens and leaks. same for the bowl seal. These components need to be replaced with fuel proof or Viton replacements for safety.
If originality is unimportant, just buy a new Filter King unit. These are manufactured for todays fuel, and will not lose adjustment or leak with age.
As FRB11's have not been manufactured in some time, the plastic spring and ball retainer is no longer available unless you have a junk unit to borrow salvaged parts.
I've rebuilt / restored these for concourse use for years. I DO NOT sell parts as my customers get them in my rebuilds.
Here is a 1967 GT FRB11 almost ready for reassembly with new diaphragm and bowl seal in transit.

Here is the Filter King unit popular with racers.

Filter King makes several variations, this one is popular. All the Filter King units have better pressure adjustment range than restored FRB11's.

#33 ·
Ball diameter is .375, I was contemplating making ball spring retainers from aluminum. The earlier banjo FRB11’s were made from aluminum not from plastic from the ones I’ve taken apart. I would like to find a source for the springs though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.