Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like the bottom brake shoe retaining pin on both rear wheels have been snapped in two. Driver side I replaced with help from Rich and his menagerie of parts. So my shake down drive gives me pulsating scraping coming from the pass side. Off with pass. side rear wheel and everything was so hot I couldn't touch a thing. After cool down, pulled caliper and rotor and yep, the bottom shoe is pin-less. Both pins that broke are only a few years old and nice and shiny brass color.
So before I just replace this one too, do I have a bigger problem that I need to deal with? I mean, what would cause these pins to break?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Before assemble I would check the cable, shoe operator and adjuster for wear and stickyness (or renew them, to be safe).
Also I would check the disk/drum assembly for warping.
Erik

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would say improper assembly. There's not a lot of meat on the male side of those pins so if they're distorted on installation then they're going to break eventually.

Also the pic of the spring shows severe distortion which leads me to believe that it wasn't centered when it was installed and cause the brakes to drag a bit which caused your heat problem.

Try new springs and pins and be slow and careful and you'll get it right this time for sure:cool:.

Good luck!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave, I've had the car for close to four years and it never showed me any trouble with the handbrake before. The previous owner put in new handbrake hardware from the handle back about five years ago. The driver side pin that I replaced first was clean and bright and still looked new(besides the spade end being broke off). This pin is mangled because I drove the car for about a half mile or so I think it got mangled as I was limping home. Dean Russell is holding a pair of new pins for me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Howie,
Those pins don't normally break off on their own unless someone has installed them with too much force. Then, they will look like your pin as it's been thrown around inside the e-brake drum. Having one pin being faulty is possible but both of them? I still say incorrect installation I'm afraid.

Maybe the PO did a lot of handbrake turns to show off to his friends and the jarring nature of this manoeuver may have caused undue stress on the brake shoes and hardwear. Hopefully just new pins will cure your problem and you'll be tearing up the back roads soon:cool:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts