Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am in South Carolina and got my 76 spider out for some maintenance before summer.

Here is my problem I was in the middle of flushing my radiator when I noticed a leak under the exhaust manifold. I was a little distressed because I was ready for a quick romp around town so I did not investigate further.

Anyway I am hoping there is a freeze plug there. I have looked all over and can't seem to find a good pic of the block. Can anyone tell me if there is a freeze plug in that area. If so, what size do I need? I am hoping to pull the exhaust manifold off and replace it quickly so I can have my ride.

Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There are no freeze plugs in an Alfa aluminum block of the American engine block variety. If it is not the block drain fitting mentioned above, then you could be looking at a leaking head gasket - unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. It's definitely not the drain plug on the head. I am hoping that it's the head now and not a cracked block. Geez I am seem to be having the worst luck. What are the chances that the block could have cracked over the winter? I don't know what i could do if the block is cracked. The leak looks to be coming from below the exhaust manifold so maybe it's a head gasket. Hoping so anyway.n

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Not that I am a qualified expert - far from it. But I have been around more than a few Alfas with the double overhead cam aluminum blocks. I have never seen a cracked Alfa aluminum block, not that it could not happen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pressure test the system and see if you can find the leak. Also it may come the exhaust studs? If there is a crack in the stud cavity to the water way it may leak thru the stud. Hope this may help, good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pressure test the system and see if you can find the leak. Also it may come the exhaust studs? If there is a crack in the stud cavity to the water way it may leak thru the stud. Hope this may help, good luck
Get a UV test kit off of Ebay or parts store. Put the UV stuff in the coolant, run the car for awhile(go in the house and check out the old velvet Elvis you bought in Tijuana 40 years ago with the UV flashlight) and then search with the flashlight for the leak. You will know when you find it. Cost- about the same as the velvet Elvis.
Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts