Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking at a 1975 Spider. Owned a 76 about 30 years ago. This one still has the fuel injection. Should I be concerned? Whats the cost to change to dual severs? Engine looks good on first inspection and starts quick. Interior: some rough patches, but new seats. Rockers are rough. With rust. Front has splitting on paint. Rear bumper has rust where it joins car on pasenger side. Obviously body work needs to be done, doesnt look like the rust has gone through though.
Brand new top. Drivers door a bit sticky, may just need an adjustment.
Any ideas on what I should pay? Said they wanted 4500. I think I can get it for $3500 cdn. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Rust? And more rust? And more rust! And you’re still considering!?

This sounds like a parts car to me. When it comes to rust, what you are seeing is always the tip of the iceberg. Remember these cars were NOT made of galvanized steel (series 2). Please find a better car!

Where are you located? Maybe we can help..

·
Out of the office!
11,253 Posts
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking at a 1975 Spider. Owned a 76 about 30 years ago. This one still has the fuel injection. Should I be concerned? Whats the cost to change to dual severs? Engine looks good on first inspection and starts quick. Interior: some rough patches, but new seats. Rockers are rough. With rust. Front has splitting on paint. Rear bumper has rust where it joins car on pasenger side. Obviously body work needs to be done, doesnt look like the rust has gone through though.
Any ideas on what I should pay? Said they wanted 4500. I think I can get it for $3500 cdn. Any help is appreciated.

The SPICA injected cars are the least loved of the Alfas. Those with the huge bumpers are even less loved. That equates to collectability at this point in time. On these cars, rust is of a bigger concern than on an older SPICA car. Please don't let the new interior, top and other items fool you. If the rust is really bad, it will consume all of your budget.

In a nut shell, anything mechanical is cheap to repair compared to rust. Injection pumps fail with age. They often times will leak fuel into the oil. So, when looking at the car, pull the dipstick and smell for gasoline. The cost of a rebuild I believe is around $1400. And, the wait is 6-12 months, I believe. Converting to a Weber setup up will be a bit more expensive.

The rusty bumpers are pretty typical of these cars. I went through two sets on my Alfetta.

$4500 for a rusty car that smokes is probably too much to pay. If you are serious about the car, I encourage you to find an experienced Alfa mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. Normally, the charge is about an hour of labor. It's money well spent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rust? And more rust? And more rust! And you’re still considering!?

This sounds like a parts car to me. When it comes to rust, what you are seeing is always the tip of the iceberg. Remember these cars were NOT made of galvanized steel (series 2). Please find a better car!

Where are you located? Maybe we can help..
Thank you.
I'm in East Toronto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The SPICA injected cars are the least loved of the Alfas. Those with the huge bumpers are even less loved. That equates to collectability at this point in time. On these cars, rust is of a bigger concern than on an older SPICA car. Please don't let the new interior, top and other items fool you. If the rust is really bad, it will consume all of your budget.

In a nut shell, anything mechanical is cheap to repair compared to rust. Injection pumps fail with age. They often times will leak fuel into the oil. So, when looking at the car, pull the dipstick and smell for gasoline. The cost of a rebuild I believe is around $1400. And, the wait is 6-12 months, I believe. Converting to a Weber setup up will be a bit more expensive.

The rusty bumpers are pretty typical of these cars. I went through two sets on my Alfetta.

$4500 for a rusty car that smokes is probably too much to pay. If you are serious about the car, I encourage you to find an experienced Alfa mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. Normally, the charge is about an hour of labor. It's money well spent.
Thanks. Seems to be the rust thsts the concern.
I was surprised the injector still worked. Thats my other big concern.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Sticking doors may be related to the corroded rockers (or sills as we call them). These are key structural elements of the body, made up of several formed sections, and if they go, the car can flex in the middle, causing the doors to bind and/or not close correctly. Have a look at the consistency of the door gaps from top to bottom, or watch the gaps when driving, to see if they open and close while under way. Dead giveaway. You would have to budget some $$ for repairing these, probably $1000 a side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts