Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a pair of air hose/firewall grommets from a well-known supplier, but as it turns out, the I.D. of the grommets happens to be 3.5 mm too small to fit over the air hoses @ 80mm O.D. I emailed the supper and requested that they check the sizes of /their remaining stock and ALL were found to be the same size as mine. Not sure if they have pulled their remaining stock or not.

I thought about soaking them in really hot water, (not boiling), but thought better of it. Is there a way to soften the ones I have so that they can be stretched to fit w/o destroying them?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ray,
Are you referencing the fresh air grommet to the firewall area for the heater? I’m not sure if your Spider is different from mine. My 101 only requires one, the passenger side, and the rubber side with the nub protruding around its circumference faces to the inside. It doesn’t go over the fresh air hose, the hose fits against it and the firewall for its seal. I don’t think the left side gets a seal. Mine has a built-in metal vent protruding from the firewall. The hose fits fairly tight on that side, a seal not needed. Is your firewall receiving area for the hoses different from that? I think 330.gtc was recently discussing his original Veloce’s vent sealing area having some kind of extra dum dum or putty around his left vent.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,

Thanks for your thought-provoking, "Ah, ha" moment-producing comments!

Because my Giulia Spider arrived in bags, boxes and crates. I have been relying on random photos, the GSPC, countless emails to helpful Alfisti and responses here on the BB, to figure out how all the pieces fit together. However, I have fallen victim to the wiles of marketing. I assumed that because two grommets were sold in one package, I needed two grommets.
From the diagram on page 345 in the GSPC, I didn't see that the "snout" of the heater (not the air hose) is designed to pass through the firewall into the engine compartment where 1) the grommet secures it and 2) the air hose slides over it. This happy gathering is topped off by a flip-style Romablok clamp..

I did manage to ferret around and come up with this photo; one picture...
IMG_0046.jpg

There are few things more humbling than the realization that you are NOT the hero of your own story! ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
There you go! I was just at my car trying to get my steering column seal in correctly with its clamp. It kept distorting the rubber away from the column as I tightened each lobo bolt. Frustrating. I wish I had seen your last post, I would have taken a picture too. Those fresh air hoses like to work against you as well. Good luck. My parts boxes sound like yours. You have to enjoy puzzles!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts