Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The needle valve and /or the ball valve is stuck in the closed position. In order to remove this valve I believe it is necessary to remove the float which will require removing the float spindle. I notice that the spindle is mounted between two posts coming from the top carb housing. One post is split and the other is whole. The question is what is the best way to remove the pivot and in what direction. These parts are very fragile and I want to avoid breaking anything.
Thanks for your help. James
I wish I had my camera!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Try the carburetors & fuel injection section

The needle valve and /or the ball valve is stuck in the closed position. In order to remove this valve I believe it is necessary to remove the float which will require removing the float spindle. I notice that the spindle is mounted between two posts coming from the top carb housing. One post is split and the other is whole. The question is what is the best way to remove the pivot and in what direction. These parts are very fragile and I want to avoid breaking anything.
Thanks for your help. James
I wish I had my camera!
Hello James,

Try the carburetors & fuel injection section at Carburetors & Fuel Injection - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
You will have more luck there.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Gently tap the pin out from the split post end first using something smaller than the pin itself, or, if you can get sufficient purchase on the non split post end of the pin with a fine pair of pliers, gently pull it out.

As it is the split post that actually holds the pin, once you get the pin clear of that post it will come out easily.

You can then remove it and the float to get at the needle valve.

Finally, as the books say, reassembly is the opposite of removal.

These posts are fairly robust but the second picture shows just what you don't want to happen ..... I can only assume that whoever did this tried to prise the split post apart :(

Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gently tap the pin out from the split post end first using something smaller than the pin itself, or, if you can get sufficient purchase on the non split post end of the pin with a fine pair of pliers, gently pull it out.

As it is the split post that actually holds the pin, once you get the pin clear of that post it will come out easily.

You can then remove it and the float to get at the needle valve.

Finally, as the books say, reassembly is the opposite of removal.

These posts are fairly robust but the second picture shows just what you don't want to happen ..... I can only assume that whoever did this tried to prise the split post apart :(

Chris
YIKES! That's exactly what I feared. Thanks ever so much, Chris.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
very fine photos!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks - what's the old saying - a picture tells a thousand words.

You'll also note that in the picture the float was in upside down :eek:

Chris

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
There is a guy in Florida who had some off the wall parts when I rebuilt mine and he had steel shafts and was very helpful. I can't remember his name but he took the time to hekp me and round up parts. Mark? maybe you can google weber florida and find him. He was building a sweet Alfa last time I talked to him and he knows his stuff. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts