Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to figure out something on my 67 GTV. It has an oil temperature gauge, but the needle flicks to the right on start up, then drops back and doesnt move once the car is warmed up.

I removed the sender that screws into the oil filter housing (which caused the needle to drop so I know it was the one connected to the gauge).....and it looks like this (part number 0344 101 031) ....which to me looks like a pressure sender, not a temperature sender? Am a bit confused....its a Bosch part i think. Hoping someone can figure out what is going on here! Thanks.

Untitled by CARMANWAITINGINTHESKY, on Flickr

Untitled by CARMANWAITINGINTHESKY, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Hi Jonno,

what you are showing is not an oil temperature gauge, but a low oil level indicator.
what you are showing is fitted on the bottom exhaust side of the block.

on your car, the oil temperature sender is like that :

I'm not sure, but maybe it's fitted on the upper part of the oil filter.

Chris

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
The temp sender on a 1600 GTV is on the filter housing. The oil pressure sender has a large chamber and is above the starter. If with the key on, you ground the temp sender wire and the temp gauge goes full, the gauge is working. Try another sender.
Andrew

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks all. For some reason, someone had fitted that low oil level sender, with an adapter, into the oil canister housing....I removed them and fitted a temperature sender (no adapter needed, just a direct screw in) and after 15 mins of driving the car, the gauge crept up - so that's another job ticked off the list! Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Good stuff jonno1 and all those who advised. So many of these little issues like yours are from people not knowing what they are doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts