Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened. Two, count'em two Wikipedia police have deleted my article on Scuderia Non Originale and the use of the club's name as a generic reference to modified cars. They say it's not important and not many people care. Is that true?

Here's the comment page on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Scuderia_Non_Originale

If you care, please sign in to Wiki and help me fight to keep SNO in winter ... errr ... in Wiki.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS A little web research shows that the two who are deleting SNO from Wiki are a college girl who appears to have automotive interests and a 20-something guy who also appears to have no automotive interests.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Part of that actually pretty ironic, if not hilarious. Wikipedia says this forum is not a reliable source. Well Wikipedia ought to know something about unreliable sources... I'm just saying.

Everybody, Everybody...keep your $3.00

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep, I who used to run the editorial side of a publishing company am being schooled by two 20-somethings who know nothing about cars. One hasn't graduated from college yet. They seem to feel it is their mission to protect Wikipedi from the likes of SNO.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Gary, you're old. You just don't understand. :wheelchair:

I had to laugh about 5 years ago, I had a new engineer just out of college with a master's degree tell me he didn't understand why I made 3x what he did even though we had the same degree. I told him I'd been working in this industry for 30 years. He said he didn't see why that mattered. After 5 years he came back to one day out of the clear blue and said "I get it now."

Of course I didn't know what the heck he was talking about, so he had to remind me. Because, you know, I'm old and forgetful.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I just added my 2 lira:

The name of the club comes from long common use of the phrase. Whether it is considered a positive or a negative descriptor depends on which side of the 'originality is sacred' debate one falls. Traditionally those whom modify classic Italian cars are considered déclassé - as an example although the brakes on a 50 - 75 year old car might be inadequate for safe operation of the vehicle, to modify them with anything other than period-correct parts will draw derisive remarks about the car being a product of 'Scuderia Non Originale'. I first heard this phrase some 20 years ago in reference to a DeTomaso Pantera which had been modified with an ugly, non-original rear spoiler. It implies that the modification is the result of an ignorant and unprofessional mechanic. My 43 year-old Alfa Romeo carries a Scuderia Non Originale badge as I have done much of the restoration work (so far as practical) myself. This serves as an inside joke to let those who know these vehicles well that I am aware of the imperfections in my efforts. So far (I've had the sticker on the bumper for some two years now), I have yet to encounter an Italian car affectionado who did not understand the phrase and the implication. To me, this suggests rather wide recognition.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. You might want to change the "20 years ago" to 10, though. That's when we started SNO. Don't want to confuse the tiny tots who patrol Wiki.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts