Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1986 Spider - It had no badges or emblems on the body, as it was in the middle of a restore. He thought it was a Veloce. I didn't really care, but questioned it as it had no power windows, and vinyl (albeit probably not original) seats. It has power mirrors but has AC, and a cloth top. It also has nice alloy wheels.

Given the lack of leather and power windows, and the vin#, I thought it might be a Graduate.

I do get mixed reports from the vin: ZARBA5414G1043322. according to the user manual chart of vin#'s, it's a Graduate. Most online checks say Veloce, a couple say Graduate.

Anyone have a definitive check on this? I would like to put the badges back on but am not sure which ones to put - Graduate or Veloce.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,941 Posts
According to "Original Alfa Romeo Spider", the only graduates that had manual windows were 85's, so if that is correct and your car is an '86 then it has been retro fitted. Graduates got steel wheels and vinyl seats. Veloce's got alloy wheels and leather seats. It also says that the graduates did not have digital clocks that were fitted to Veloce's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you have anymore photos of it? Based on the what you've said I would say it is a Veloce with the A/C option and a tragic vinyl seat recover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much. It does have a digital clock. And the vinyl seats are tragic and cheesy. I'm leaning towards the Veloce badges. And shopping for leather seats.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
You have a Graduate. Look at the side mirrors. Those are Graduate's mirror (different than Veloce and Quad mirrors). You have a Graduate with Veloce Wheels ! Maybe it was an option ?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Alfa parts microfiche #0967 puts chassis number 43322 as a 1986 Graduate (internal model #115.64.0).

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Power windows, power mirrors and AC were standard on veloce's. You could add AC to Grads but I'm pretty sure not the others.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Who really cares..Drive it and enjoy it. Good luck, it looks great...Graduates had black electric mirrors, but did come with (in 86) AC, and a digital clock...Hardtops and choice of wheels were an option....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry I misread your original post. I thought it said it HAD power windows. Since it doesn't it makes those vinyl seats make more sense.
My Veloce doesn't have AC, but has side mirrors that match the body colour.
Sorry!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who really cares..Drive it and enjoy it. Good luck, it looks great...Graduates had black electric mirrors, but did come with (in 86) AC, and a digital clock...Hardtops and choice of wheels were an option....
So true Don - it is fun to drive. But imagine the backlash from some Alfa snob noting I had Veloce badges on a Graduate? I'd certainly point it out.

So I am hearing more votes for Graduate - and papajam's VIN check may be the definitive.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
But imagine the backlash from some Alfa snob noting I had Veloce badges on a Graduate?
Personally I care about what I have and I would have asked the question too. I don't care too much about Alfa snob though… maybe because they aren't too popular around here. A chance because I've put Graduate mirrors and Veloce seats on my Quad !!!

You got a nice Alfa… take care of it and enjoy it !

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you need graduate badges? Along with the ashtray, which I needed, I rcvd these parts in the lot of asstd parts I bought off ebay. I have no idea what the round things are and I have a veloce so these extras are free to a good home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Do you need graduate badges? Along with the ashtray, which I needed, I rcvd these parts in the lot of asstd parts I bought off ebay. I have no idea what the round things are and I have a veloce so these extras are free to a good home.
The round things go under the door handle.

You can see them here.

door panel.JPG

My 2cents says its a Graduate.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang jillian!!! I do! I paid way too much for these spider veloce badges off of eBay - was a little too excited. Hopefully I'll get some of the $$ back.

PVT me where to send you some $$ for shipping and your time.

Thanks -

·
Registered
398 Posts
Door Handel Disk

Dont think it makes any difference....I was missing drivers side and replaced it with Pax side as it's harder for me to see over there!!!....advise if there's any difference..Thanks Paul

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Our '85 Graduate is vin zarba5415f102xxxx with roll up windows, no power locks, steel wheels and chrome exterior mirrors. But after 30 years who knows? If she is in good tune drive the heck out of the beast

1 - 19 of 19 Posts