Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****, after a blowout and emergency new tire today I get to the pick a part and break off my trunk safety cable. Needles s to say, the normal cable doesn't work (but is still attached). So what now?

Thanks, especially since all my tools are in the trunk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Remove your number (licence) plate and you'll find a hole in the panel where you can access the lever with a screwdriver etc.

AB

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks as I was worried since I've never seen mention of that trick before and it would be just like alfa to have no backup plan for such situations. And never noticed anything in the service manual either. Glad the backseat doesn't have to come out too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually I think it is mentioned somewhere. I'm pretty sure I've seen it on a printed page with diagrams and all. Don't quote me though! ;)

Can't check my manual as it's in the 75, which is garaged quite a distance from me atm.

·
Premium Member
14,558 Posts
I seem to remember that you have to fish around with the screw driver and a Phillips screwdriver works best.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There is an emergency trunk release under the back seat ( looks like a peice of fishing line with a plastic ring tied to the end). It may not work or already have been broken though. Other than that, try what the other people said.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Then replace the fishing line

After you do get the trunk open, replace the fishing line that ends behind the driver side rear seat back with some metal wire or bike cable.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is an emergency trunk release under the back seat ( looks like a peice of fishing line with a plastic ring tied to the end). It may not work or already have been broken though. Other than that, try what the other people said.
Yup, that's what I broke.

And just looked in the service manual and no mention of the screwdriver trick. .

·
Premium Member
14,558 Posts
These pictures may help you with the trick.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,558 Posts
Too much coffee today, Bruce?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, what I said was wrong????
Mate, pull off your number plate - then the plastic shield - and then there is a freaking hole you can put your screwdriver through and get your boot open - for freaks sake!!

Otherwise, get real.
Huh? I was talking to travis who said to use the fishing line. I appreciated your help as already stated so not sure about your response but thanks for the help nevertheless.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many apologies. Got mixed up. Sorry. :eek:

Have a look here ALFAGTV6.COM • View topic - Alfa 75/Milano boot release cable snaped

The last post has pics of the method

cheers
No problemo. Thanks for all the tips and pics. I was able to get into the trunk today although it's a little scary how easy to get in there if you know how!
Now the problem I'm having is that I need to run the new cable (steel cable BTW) through to the back seat but not sure how to get the seat out. The manual says to simply lift up the lower cushion but mine won't budge. And then do I need to take out the upper cushion to get the cable through to the trunk?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
The seat cushion should come out relatively easy. There are two downward facing pins at the front of the sea that locate it in the chassis. They can sometimes be a little frozen in place, but a good upward tug from the front while pushing back, should do the trick.
Yes you really should remove the upper cushion which is held in place with philips head screws at either side and one in the middle.
After you get these out, the cushion needs to be lifted vertically to release it from the chassis. Once again it's a bit of a juggling act and will probably need man-handling.
Also you'll have to release the carpet from the scuff plates and raise it up a bit for cable access.
Removing the appropriate front seat helps - heaps!
I know it sounds a lot, but just work away at it methodically and it's quite do-able.
Another trick is to add a remote control solenoid - something I'm about to do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Another trick is to add a remote control solenoid - something I'm about to do.
What kind of remote control solenoid are you using?
I would really like a remote control on the trunk release - so much easier than having to open the front door first every time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What kind of remote control solenoid are you using?
I would really like a remote control on the trunk release - so much easier than having to open the front door first every time.
Haven't actually done it yet, but I installed one of those generic remote door lock systems, and it works really well. It has the circuitry to run a boot (trunk) solenoid. I have a fella near by who sells these, so I'll let you know when I get it.

AB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Broken trunk release cable- 1987 Spider

There is no back up cable under the seat of a spider to access the trunk.

What I did was to unscrew the handle release panel.
Then cut the silver tip off of the cable. Carefully, cut through some of the spiral metal casing.
You can then pull the inside wires to release the trunk.

As a backup, I ran a simple wire from the trunk release mechanism thru the gas cap boot. I made a simple loop, knotted the wire, and tucked it in.
You can then release the gas cap and pull on the wire.

Simple!

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts