Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I need some help, I have just changed my trackrod ends on my giulia GT Veloce and the left trackrod on the tie rod hits the lower control arm.

What could be the problem here? The old trackrod was also very close to the control arm.

Is there any way to adjust the position of the steering box or could it be the front subframe that has moved back?

I would love to hear suggestions on how I could be able to solve this, or if any body have some experience with this problem I would love to hear about it, how you solved it and what caused the trackrod to hit the control arm.

I can't post any pictures as I don't have enough post yet.
I hope you have some good suggestions

-Ulrik

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thanks for your reply,

I have torqued all nuts to see if it changed anything, but it didn't.

Is it possible to lift the arm on the steering box? or is that one in a fixed position?

-Ulrik

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Did you compare the depth of the new rod ends to the ones that were previously installed? In post#4 the photo seems to indicate that the depth of the outside track rod end body is smaller than the middle one.....possibly?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The usual responses to this question point to swapping over the front lower A-arms after dismantling for re-bushing etc, as the rear lower arms have a chamfered edge to aid clearance for the steering gear.

Your description and pictures don't seem to indicate you have done this. But in addition, if I recall correctly, the set of six balljoints I received for my car were 4x1 type, 2x another - ie suggesting to me that the two outer balljoints were a different design or size than the inners. Is it possible you have mixed them up?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Looks like you should have the low profile ones installed where they rub. That's what i see in the photos.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
As RANZ & Brad mentioned, the lower a-arm halfs are NOT the same. the one intended for the rear has a generous radius to clear the ball joints. From your pic - it seems you have the FRONT lower a arm on the back. will require dropping the spring and removing it, then swapping them around.

look closely here and you'll see the difference

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/186681-front-lower-wishbones.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The usual responses to this question point to swapping over the front lower A-arms after dismantling for re-bushing etc, as the rear lower arms have a chamfered edge to aid clearance for the steering gear.

Your description and pictures don't seem to indicate you have done this. But in addition, if I recall correctly, the set of six balljoints I received for my car were 4x1 type, 2x another - ie suggesting to me that the two outer balljoints were a different design or size than the inners. Is it possible you have mixed them up?

I did check that the A-arms where correctly mounted, and one side is reverse, although this is the side that isn't touching. The side that is touching does have the chamfered edge to the rear. So that one should be mounted correctly.

I did get a set of six ball joints with 4x splitpin type and 2x locking nut type.
I guessed that the two locking nut type balljoints was supposed to go on the tie-rod as it was very difficult to get to the splitpins here.

But I do think the solution is to change the locking nut ball joints on the tie rod to the splitpin type as these look like they are lower in design.

I haven't had the time to change them at this point as I'm traveling back to indonesia for work. But I am positive that it would solve the problem to change the ball joints around.

-Ulrik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts