Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a problem in the course of installing the stock air filter parts on my 1970 GTV with Weber carburetors. Everything looked perfect except the air filter canis, although it fits, the snout seems too long for the engine bay. the end almost touches the radiator. I bought this way back thinking in case I ever wanted to convert back to stock. According to the 1750 parts book, this is the correct Technocar part number 105 44 08 010 01 but I have not been able to find the same unit in any engine bay pictures I researched. The ones I saw have a shorter snout. I am thinking that it is maybe a Berlina part. Can you shed any light on this confusion. It is in perfect shape and i would hate to hack it..
BTW 105 44 is my car sub model.
Air filter housing 3.jpg Air filter housing 3.jpg Air filter housing 5.jpg

Best for the New Year, James

Attachments

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
They do fit close. Maybe trim it a little. the USA FI cars came with a little funnel spot welded to the rad frame. You do not have that, correct. After the models were unified in ???1972??? they all came with a funnel I believe so the carbed "euro" models had to have the Airbox snout modified to clear the funnel.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks Ken. I got it from Germany many years ago so your suggestion would make sense. I will try it out.
Cheers, James

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
According to the parts books. The 1750 GTV and Berlina's used a 105.48.08.010.01. The last digit changing depending on which brand.

The 2000 GTV's and Berlinas used the 105.44.08.010.01. Which is what I thought because of the odd snout on it.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
As stated by Jim it looks like a 2000 air cleaner. The snout on my S2 Euro 1750 is different than the one pictured. S2 1750 and 2000 Spica cars had a funnel welded to the rad support, round cross-section to fit a round duct to the air cleaner, the S2 Euro 1750 had a different oval shape funnel welded to the rad support that came real close to the flared air cleaner snout.
James your GTV is identical to mine if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and thanks Ken, Jim and Brad.
Everything you guys say makes sense. However what throws me off is the 1750 GTV and Spider parts book shows the canister pages 93/3 and 93/4 (pages 1 &2) part number 105 44 08 010 01 as the proper part for the 1750 and this is as of Sept 1970. The drawing is similar in design to the one I have except the snout appears to be of a different shape and shorter. Logically, unless the same product code was kept it should not be for a 1974 GTV. One thing is for certain, it came from Europe. I will try it out on my car and see how it works.
I have attached pages 2 & 3 which shows a different canister with a short snout the 105 48 08 010 07.
Perhaps one of these belongs to the Spider.
Cheers, James

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Referring to post #6 above the short snout air cleaner is for later 1969 S1 Euro cars after they switched from the 1600 style cross-over air cleaner on 1968 1750s. The long snorkel air cleaner is just like mine used on 1970 and 1971 S2 euro 1750s and I assume Euro 2000s. But I have not seen many Original Euro 2000s as they were not imported to Canada. The air cleaner you have maybe from a Euro Spider from a much newer vintage say the last year they used carbs in Europe?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Brian and all.
The canister in the above picture is definitely the correct part for my car. The one I have is a later seventies or eighties car which never made its way to North America. What aggravates me is that Alfa used the exact same part number as 105 series car. I will have to shop around for a new (old) canister.
Cheers, James

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
You need to look at the back of pages 93/2 and 93/4. At the bottom of those pages it gives the vin numbers of the cars they were used on.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Early Alfetta 2000 (type 11655) should have something like this airbox. The air scoop goes under the battery tray, which is on the right side, unlike 105s and early alfettas.
736foto1.jpg

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The Australian delivered 1750s + 2 litre cars,with Carbys, did Not have a snout due to it Fouling on the Original Radiator Overflow bottle
Snout air filters were for non Radiator overflow bottle cars
I have a few of the Originals here
Send a private message for pictures via e-mail.
I sell many Air filter canisters and trays and clamps to people who convert from spica to carbys
[email protected]
Sydney
Australia.

Im just an enthusiast like all on the BB,with 35 +Years full time with 105s as my Job.
Thousands of parts here
Happy to help

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Based on the raised letting on that air cleaner, I'd say it's from a middle to late seventies car. All of the Technocar air cleaners I've seen up to about 1975 have graphics on then like in the attached picture.

I'm still looking through my pictures to see if I can find one similar.

View attachment 1666429
where is the Radiator Overflow Bottle ?
Australian delivered Carby cars 1750 series 2 and 2 litre dont have a snout cause it will foul on the overflow bottle.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
James 2000 pic,,Post number 6 above,,,, lower left is the air filter canister you need.
Original part for Carby cars in Australia for 1750 series 2 and 2 litre with radiator overflow bottle
Lots available here,with tray and clamps
Can even supply a shorter version from an Alfetta,,same = no snout
Or just cut off the snout to suit your needs.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Here is a photo (#3) of the air box from my 1975 build (1976 Reg) 1600 GTj. As a late GT air box, it differs from yours I think with respect to the location of the warm air valve. I measure the length of the tube #3 along the spine to the opening edge to be 29 cm. The other 2 boxes, #1 and #2, are from 1750 GTVs and their tube length is 31 cm. There is also a weight difference. #1 2324 g, #2 1904 g #3 1790 g. #1 can at 44 cm, is 1 cm longer than the other two.

Remember the Late box #3 is used with a chassis that has a funnel spot welded to the rad frame and so must be shorter than the the earlier two carbed 1750 boxes where there was no funnel. Note the USA 1750 FI models did have that funnel.

Either 1 or 2 would be more correct for your 1970 GTV and should fit.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

Reactions: brad fischer

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ken. That is definitely the correct canister for my car. Is it doe sale and price please?
Cheers, James

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I found some older photos of the air cleaner on my GTV. They look like Ken's pics of #1 and #2. Is #3 shorter along the spine because it is a 1600 part with a shorter stroke and block, therefore closer to the funnel beside the rad? You can see the Euro funnel welded to rad support in some of my photos. Why is Ken's #1 can 1 cm longer? Does it require a 1 cm longer air filter element? My part # looks to be AR. 105 44 08 010 01
mirrors 011.JPG
mirrors 012.JPG
mirrors 013.JPG
mirrors 014.JPG

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I found some older photos of the air cleaner on my GTV. They look like Ken's pics of #1 and #2. Is #3 shorter along the spine because it is a 1600 part with a shorter stroke and block, therefore closer to the funnel beside the rad? You can see the Euro funnel welded to rad support in some of my photos. Why is Ken's #1 can 1 cm longer? Does it require a 1 cm longer air filter element? My part # looks to be AR. 105 44 08 010 01 View attachment 1666826 View attachment 1666827 View attachment 1666828 View attachment 1666829
Hey Brad, are you saying that your what 1970? carbed car, what Euro or Canadian? has a funnel welded to the rad frame?? As I do not remember seeing that on the Canadian 1750s that have passed through my hands. On the FI USA 1750s Yes. I do not believe my #3 1975 1600 is shorter because it is a 1600.

If I get a minute I will see if I can figure out why #1 and #2 are different lengths as I would expect them to use the same filter element.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Yes, July 4th, 1970 build Euro/CDN imperial gauges. Different funnel than 71 Spica Alfas. But common on S2 Euro/CDN 1750 GTVs.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Zoom in on the pic in post #6, 36, 45, and 53 in the above link, shows the air funnel better than my photos do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts