Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic has checked everything-I get this 'shudder' in the rear underside when I do a slow take off (1st gear) or slow down to a stop. Seems to come from the diff area, he has checked everything, nothing! And you won't feel the vibration/shudder if there is another passenger, added weight. Only happens at acceleration and slowing to a stop-feels as though you are rolling off the rear axle.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
U joints or half shafts seized at the union or center support bad or donut or rear tranny mount. Honestly....best to just do them all. Centerline has a kit to rebuild the drive shaft. It varies in how much it does it by the height of the rear of the car relative to the height of the front. So you change the load...you change the deflection of the drive shaft. You might try loading the grease fitting up on the half shaft union and see if you can get the two moving again. Might help to relieve some strain.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will pass on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same problem on my S4 and dropped the driveshaft to find the U Joints were almost completely seized up. Two ne U joints and a new halfshaft bearing and its like a different car. Pretty cheap on parts and a very worthwhile outcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts