Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 Duetto that I would like to place the factory steering wheel in storage to keep it in good shape for any events I might someday do, and install a wood wheel for everyday driving. I use the car probably 1-2 days a week for short fun drives, or as a grocery getter. I am aware of the longer steering shaft and less dish on the 1966 Duettos, but I am not clear as to if I have any options for a wood wheel that might look and work well with minimal modifications needed. I want to be able to readily return to stock occasionally.

I am not sure how easily the horn is to set up. It looks like some wheels have the center horn button and some have the three horn spokes like stock. I could go either way, again if is easy to go back.

I would like to give my wife a list of links to parts, or an email if someone has everything needed in good used condition. My wife would like Santa to try to help me with this as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for any opinions, advice and help.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have a 1966 Duetto that I would like to place the factory steering wheel in storage to keep it in good shape for any events I might someday do, and install a wood wheel for everyday driving. I use the car probably 1-2 days a week for short fun drives, or as a grocery getter. I am aware of the longer steering shaft and less dish on the 1966 Duettos, but I am not clear as to if I have any options for a wood wheel that might look and work well with minimal modifications needed. I want to be able to readily return to stock occasionally.

I am not sure how easily the horn is to set up. It looks like some wheels have the center horn button and some have the three horn spokes like stock. I could go either way, again if is easy to go back.

I would like to give my wife a list of links to parts, or an email if someone has everything needed in good used condition. My wife would like Santa to try to help me with this as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for any opinions, advice and help.
I can't help on the steering wheel question, but would love to see a photo of the Weber setup on the Mustang.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't help on the steering wheel question, but would love to see a photo of the Weber setup on the Mustang.
Here you go Bob

·
Super Moderator
11,828 Posts
I have a 1966 Duetto that I would like to place the factory steering wheel in storage to keep it in good shape for any events I might someday do, and install a wood wheel for everyday driving.
The cheapest, easiest to find alternative would be a wood rimmed wheel from a 2 liter spider. Yes, the dish is deeper than your Duetto wheel, so the rim will be a bit closer to your chest. These wheels were produced in huge numbers between 1972 and 198X so should be readily available.

Another choice would be an aftermarket wheel: Nardi, Personal, Momo, etc. You'll need a hub adapter and horn button as well as the wheel. Available on ebay, Amazon, from the usual Alfa parts suppliers or other automotive aftermarket vendors like Crowders ( Steering Wheels ). Dish will be more comparable to your stock Duetto wheel.

That won't be a problem. Both will connect to the wire that runs down the center of your Alfa's hollow steering shaft.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another choice would be an aftermarket wheel: Nardi, Personal, Momo, etc. You'll need a hub adapter and horn button as well as the wheel. Available on ebay, Amazon, from the usual Alfa parts suppliers or other automotive aftermarket vendors like Crowders ( Steering Wheels ). Dish will be more comparable to your stock Duetto wheel.
Will the hub adapter also move the wheel closer to the driver, similarly as the deeper dished wheel? Any idea how much deeper the dish is on the 2L wheel? an inch would be fine, 2 inches would get tight.

I will keep my eyes out for a Euro 1750 wheel as well.

Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
1750 wood rim Repro here. AC158 GTV & SPIDER 1750 COMPLETE HELLEBORE STYLE STEERING WHEEL

Also available at other Alfa vendors I expect. They also offer other aftermarket wheels that are perfectly respectable.

You should expect to pay more for a perfect original 1750 Hellebore as they are in demand.

The deep dish Personal and Hellebore wheels may cause interference problems with column shroud, which might, just might be adjusted out. Others have experienced a gap issue when putting the shallow dish wheel where once there was a deep dish.

Putting the wheel upside down on a flat surface and measuring to the end of the metal mounting hub yields

Wood Deep Dish Hellebore 5-3/8"
Wood Deep dish Personal 5-5/16"
Plastic Deep Dish Berlina/super 5-5/16"

Wood Shallow dish Hellebore 4-3/4"

If you were to descide on a Deep dish Personal, as Jay says much more available, I can happily sell your wife, oh I mean Santa, one for you for christmas. $150.00 plus shipping See post #4 at

Cheers

Ken

Reactions: Cali Duetto

·
Super Moderator
11,828 Posts
Will the hub adapter also move the wheel closer to the driver, similarly as the deeper dished wheel? Any idea how much deeper the dish is on the 2L wheel? an inch would be fine, 2 inches would get tight.
kengta has answered most of your questions about how the Alfa-supplied wheels differ dimensionally. And the type of wheel he references in this thread For Sale - NOW SOLD 1972 Deep Dish Personal Wood Rim... is what I was thinking of in post #5. He's right - it might interfere with the shroud - same is true for an aftermarket wheel + hub adapter.

You had asked: "Will the hub adapter also move the wheel closer to the driver...?". Well, closer relative to what? I believe that the hubs' height is determined to position the rims of shallow-dished Nardi/Personal/Momo aftermarket wheels at about the same place as the rims of the deeply-dished wheels that came from the factory with the 2L cars. So yes, using one of these on a Duetto, that came with a less-dished wheel, will put the rim closer to the driver.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Very Cool. Plan to share with my Mustang car buddies.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
You really don't need to worry about the original 1966 Duetto wheel. They are very hardy as long as you don't try to push the car while steering. If you must push while steering, place your hand in the center of the wheel, not on the rim.

A wood rimmed wheel from a 2 liter spider is not a good fit! I tried one from my friends Giulia Super Nuovo, the same wheel is in my Montreal and it does not work on the long steering shaft of the Duetto. There is way too much dish in that wheel for a Duetto and the diameter of the wheel is too large. I sit with the seat as far back as possible and have trouble reaching the stock steering wheel. I'd like a bit more dish so my arms are not straight out while driving all the time but I'd prefer a black plastic Hellebore style Euro 1750 wheel over wood.

Osso's suggestion to use a Hellebore wheel from a 1750 spider looks like the best solution (available new in Kengta's link from CA). I don't know if it will actually fit without issues. I think the euro 1750 used this same wheel; well the one I listed (now sold) several months ago did. If you get a Hellebore wheel would you please let us know how it fits your Duetto?

Ken, would you have the stock Duetto steering wheel measurement like you have for the other 'deep dish' wheels? I measured my wheel on the Duetto at 3-1/2" from the wheel face to the black plastic hub but it suspect the metal hub extends another 1/2" or so.

Mark

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mamma mia! Need to hear video of this sucker now.

Why don't you just give her the number to Centerline? I'm sure they can hook her up with a suitable aftermarket wheel and hub to fit your needs.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I have this very nice vinyl MOMO steering wheel if you`re still looking.
MOMO horn button has seen better days
65usd plus shipping. More pictures available upon request
contact me if you`re interested here or on [email protected]
Thank you
Mike

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts