Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've just become a member and looking forward to any future assistance. Currently experiencing an issue with my right signal flasher - (flasher blinks twice as fast) rear bulb works but the right front doesn't.
Actually the little white front park light is now flashing (???) I tried a new bulb but still nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions....?

·
Registered
970 Posts
The fact that your front bulb isn't working, or making intermittent contact is the reason your rear bulb is flashing faster. There is less resistance in the circuit, and the flasher, acting as a capacitor uses the resistance of the bulb to determine the time contant of the flashing.

Clean the lamp sockets, using sandpaper or a pencil eraser and contact cleaner.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
also make sure to clean your grounds

·
Administrator
16,633 Posts
My understanding is that the rate of blinking speed depends on the total amount of resistance in the system - thus when a bulb burns out the blinker blinks fast & acts a warning system to check the bulbs.

The fact your front park light is blinking instead of the amber turn signal light indicates a crossed wire somewhere or a faulty ground. I'd start by removing the park light/turn signal light assembly, cleaning all electrical contacts (inspect carefully for worn insulation) and make sure the base makes good contact to the body - that is where most light assemblies get their ground connection. (I suggest you do the same to the other light assemblies while you have the tools out...)

A quick test for faulty ground contact is to remove the lens and temporarily touch a wire from the base of the bulb to a good ground - a clean metal spot on the body. If it then works correctly you know it isn't getting a proper ground connection.

-

edited to add: geeze, I gotta learn to type faster...

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
edited to add: geeze, I gotta learn to type faster...
no kidding....many replies at basically all the same time....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update....

First of all I would like to thank all the great people out there who replied to my post. I am new to this and was overwhelmed by your support!

So I took your advice and am happy to say that the issue is resolved! There was a "loose screw" that fastens two black ground wires located just in front of the radiator cross section. I took out my phillips and gave it a good tight adjustment and wala! - problem solved.

Thanks again!:D

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
that's great news! Congrats!

·
Administrator
16,633 Posts
I... am happy to say that the issue is resolved! There was a "loose screw" that fastens two black ground wires located just in front of the radiator cross section. I took out my phillips and gave it a good tight adjustment and wala! - problem solved.
Good for you!

I suggest you go around the car and clean then tighten any grounds you can locate. They'll typically be the black wires so follow any you can see to wherever they attach to the body or engine. I like to use a small 'toothbrush' size wire brush to scrub both the terminals and the attachment area. Then apply a dab of 'di-electric grease' (also sold as 'tune-up' grease) to the connection. The di-electric grease will protect the connection from corrosion. That way things will work correctly for longer!

BTW, also look up under the dash for more ground connections. On our '84 there ia a gang of ground wires that connect under a screw head at the left, lower outer corner of the dash.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check the ground wire to the right (passenger's side) of the top of the radiator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts