Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Yes there are two studs on the sides, probably 8mm as well as the two on the rear panel which I think are 12mm. I've probably got a picture somewhere of it with the bumper removed. There's not really much of anything there, just those studs which are located in the same spots as the un-used holes in the later models.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, I tried to find someone in San Diego, California who does repair two stainless steel bumpers but so far no luck. Anyone have any ideas about that?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Yes there are two studs on the sides, probably 8mm as well as the two on the rear panel which I think are 12mm. I've probably got a picture somewhere of it with the bumper removed. There's not really much of anything there, just those studs which are located in the same spots as the un-used holes in the later models.
Bumpers supported by studs welded to sheet metal???:scared:

Make sure you do not park by the cart return areas in the parking lots, you could suffer a major collision:hammer:.

I will pull my 71 bumper from the basement tomorrow and see how the fitup looks. Now my curiosity is peaked.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Bumpers supported by studs welded to sheet metal???:scared:
Fairly standard for European cars of that era and in fact it was only the North America bound cars that got the heavy bumperettes and later the much heavier rubber bumpers. The Euro cars retained the light weight stainless bumpers and mounting right up to the end. They certainly aren't anything you'd regard as "crashworthy" in as much as being capable of sustaining a 5 mph hit. I've never really looked at the '74 models but the front bumpers on the earlier cars like mine are really nothing more than a piece of plastic with a thin stainless cap. They might protect the nose from a wayward shopping cart but not much else and you'd probably have to replace the bumper afterwards or glue the broken bits back together which most of them have had done to them a time or two. There was a time in my car's history when I had them hung on the front end brackets with hose clamps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Team,

I have an interesting twist to this dilemma.... I have a 79, which has the 4-bolt mounting in the rears, and what appears to be a 74 chrome bumper to mount (with the 2-bolt attachments on the ends (where the shock mounts are on the 79, but not exactly), NOT the 71ish bumper mounts as shown with the two mount points at roughly 1/3 and 2/3 across the bumper.

I frustratingly bough the Spider-point brackets, only to realize when the got here that of course they won't work as they seem to go to only the early bumpers from the 4-bolt mounts...

The magic question is!:

If I have th 74 bumpers (US), with the 2-bold end mounts, is there a pre-made solution (I am not a welder or such) for brackets on the market that will convert from the 4-bolt 79 mounts to the 2-bolt 74 bumper mounts?

I also find myself wondering what living hell I will find on the front end...

Thanks in advance!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts