Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay! I need help! I was removing the bolt and nut from the shifter at the end toward the bottom of the shifter rod and dropped the nut!!! it is now past where I can see in the little area of the back of the trans through the shifter area and I am afraid to start it in fear of it tearing up the trans. Does anyone know the best way out of this? Do I need to pull the case to get the thing out?! Help PLEASE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Those little magnetic things on a long stalk is something you need anyway, and it might do the trick. If you can find one on a flexible stalk, so much the better. They have saved me many times.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already tried that. I can't get into it at ALL. If I remove the shifter completely in neutral, will it have to take other adjustments to get it back in place? It may help me get back into there with a scope camera. Otherwise, will the nut eventually get to the bottom? Or will it cause huge damage if I try to run it?

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
try removing the shift arm trunnion

If you slowly and carefully remove the two breather tubes that hold shifter trunnion in the center of the tower, you will be able to slide the trunnion to one side and then pull it out of the tower. You will still have to deal with fifth gear and reverse gear and their shift fork, plus all the shifter rods being in your way, but the removal of the trunnion should afford you a little better access and view down into the tower.

If you do this, be careful not to drop any of the washers that ride on the trunnion bars behind the breather tubes. And keep track of which breather tube came from which side, as well as the placement of the shims under the breather tubes and orientation of the thick, thin and wave washers on the trunnion arms.

It might be helpful to drain the fluid, just so you can see into the bottom of the rear cover better. Don't worry, the nut won't fit thru the oil hole/passageway between the rear section and the clamshell cases.

If you are careful and lucky, you will not have to pull the gearbox and tear it apart. And trust me, that is something you definitely want to avoid at all costs.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
I am actually wondering how that nut can drop into the gearbox?
Are the sliding plates missing under your gearstick?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They sure are!!! Where can I get these to prevent this from happening again? this makes sense why I was getting so much noise and oil around the shifter boot at the bottom!
I actually tried all of this, and I went ahead and pulled the transmission this afternoon. It took a little over an hour, so not bad. I am currently working on getting it apart. i needed to rebuild it anyway, so this is just extra motivation. Out of curiousity, the bearing that sits in front of the clutch fork- what is it called? it is in a sorry state and i dont know what to look for name-wise. Thanks for the help everyone! Next time I go to handle a nut in a small space I will make sure to remove the gear oil off of my hands!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
They sure are!!! Where can I get these to prevent this from happening again? this makes sense why I was getting so much noise and oil around the shifter boot at the bottom!
I actually tried all of this, and I went ahead and pulled the transmission this afternoon. It took a little over an hour, so not bad. I am currently working on getting it apart. i needed to rebuild it anyway, so this is just extra motivation. Out of curiousity, the bearing that sits in front of the clutch fork- what is it called? it is in a sorry state and i dont know what to look for name-wise. Thanks for the help everyone! Next time I go to handle a nut in a small space I will make sure to remove the gear oil off of my hands!
You can try Larry at APE for the sliding plates.

The bearing is somethimes called a throw out bearing or clutch release bearing.

This thing right?

Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia Clutches and Release Bearings

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats it! Thanks! This turned out WAY easier than I thought it would! Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last thing- does anyone know where on earth I can find a main input shaft bearing? I have looked EVERYWHERE and can only find one that fits a 1975 model... Will these fit? Or does anyone know where I can find one?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I need the entire bearing, not just the bushing... I can feel a lot of movement in it and was getting a great deal of noise out of it, so it is essential that I replace it. Thanks though!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Classic Alfa in the U.K. has them, as does alfa-service.com in Germany. The input shaft bearing is the same as the intermediate bearing used in the middle of the output shaft, at least on the series 3 Spiders.
Not sure if those 2 bearings are identical on the earlier models.
I think I heard somewhere that the input shafts on some earlier models had a larger OD than the later models.
Just go to Classis Alfa's website and do a search.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Oh yes. You will probably need a new input shaft nut too, but Classic Alfa said they were out of them when I tried to order one a few months ago. You might try alfa-service.com for that (or both).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts