Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished the passenger side motor mount install. No records set here. I fought the intake manifold support for several hours to no avail. Ended up having to loosen the intake manifold in order to get clearance to position the support bracket into the motor mount. Because the car is new to me, while I was at it, I decided to clean out the oil vaper separator. My question- my 86 quad ( S3) has three nipples on the intake. The top nipple has a quarter inch hose that connects to the fuel pressure regulator. The lower nipple, I believe the hose goes to the OVS. Is there anything that connects to the middle nipple? The drawings that I have found are unclear or for the S4, which only has two nipples on the manifold.

I also changed the front crank seal. The crank pulley is held on by a 36mm nut and washer. The washer has a notch which I assume is to engage the woodruff key on the crank shaft. My pulley does not go on to the crank shaft far enough for the washer to “engage or lock” onto the woodruff key. I assume the notch is there to prevent rotation of the washer. Secondly, the washer is dish shaped/ concave. Does the dish go towards the pulley face or the nut? I believe I read on another thread, that I should just clean the threads with Brake Clean then install the nut with blue Loctite.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
The top nipple has a quarter inch hose that connects to the fuel pressure regulator. The lower nipple, I believe the hose goes to the OVS. Is there anything that connects to the middle nipple?
correct order here
Nipples!!

can't answer the lock tab thing as my s4 just uses a thick flat washer
(although the S4 workshop manual mentions a lock washer, the parts book clearly lists a flat washer, like those in photo: PN 60513329)
washer crank pulley.jpg

·
Administrator
17,057 Posts
Locktab washers are old-tech. The problem with them is that in order to be bendable the metal has to be relatively soft. This softness allows the washer to compress in use (it gets thinner) and thus the bolt loses the desired tightness.

I use blue Loctite - removable with hand tools. Red Loctite usually requires heat to soften the bond for removal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Eric that is what I will do.

Dom I didn’t remove the three vacuum nipples so they should be in their proper locations, but I have no vacuum hose connected to the middle nipple. Should there be? And if so, where does it connect to?

Gentlemen Thanks again for your patience and quick response.
Mike

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Mike,
although you didn't remove the vacuum hoses, the PO probably did, and he put them back wrong;)

top: fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose
middle: this is the OVS hose
bottom: vapour return line to Charcoal canister (the canister is hidden behind the fender, and a small hose should from this be coming into the engine bay up near the bulkhead)

nice diagram here:
s3 plenum chamber diagram.jpg

this diagram shows the charcoal canister (#12) and the hose in question (#13) to botom nipple
vapour recovery.JPG

if you cannot find the hose for the 3rd nipple, then at least block it off at the plenum or you will have 'false air'

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dom for sharing your knowledge I couldn’t find those diagrams. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dom. I have temporarily capped the third nipple, but I don’t see a grommet that penetrates the bulk head for the vacuum line to the vapor canister. Can you give me an idea where to look?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
somewhere around where I've marked this photo; more coming out from the inner fender somewhere (at least that is where it's at on my S4, must be same for S3)
underhood.jpg

and here is a cutaway version;)
carbon canister access??

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Correct - the vapor canister is behind an odd panel in the passenger side wheel well on S3 Spiders too.

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help. I found the braided line to the canister. It had become disconnected from the intake plenum and been pushed down out of site under the block. I don't know if it was connected when I bought the car. Though the car seemed to run fine when I bought it.

Never the less, the car is now ready for the spring driving season. If it would only come soon to Alaska.

I really appreciate the help from this forum.
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts