Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to you all !!:D

Yes, I know they are not common, but they are out there...and certainly someone is holding onto one or more.

If anyone can sell me a gtv6 gas cap in good shape with functional key/locking mechanism for a reasonable price, that would be HUGELY appreciated.

Just shoot me an email and we can discuss....

[email protected]

Thanks so much in advance,

Adam

·
Registered
805 Posts
Try Alfa Parts Exchange in Tracy, CA -- (209) 365-1383. or
Giuseppe at [email protected]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Lance.
Will call and check.
I dont think Giuseppe has one since my last inquiry.

Anyone else??

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have a gas cap but alas no key for it. If you think that you could have a lock shop make a key fire me off a pm with a price you might think is fair.

Paul

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for stepping up Paul. Currently my gas cap is in nice shape like yours, just missing the key. Will need to keep searching....appreciate you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this is an uncommon item....anyone else?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
. . . Currently my gas cap is in nice shape like yours, just missing the key. . . .
And a locksmith cannot make another key?
In a similar situation but have yet to investigate having a duplicate key made. Seems like this would be the way to go.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dunno. I thought a duplicate key could only be made from using a key as a model or with a code...not just making one out of nowhere. I'm no locksmith though.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Pardon. Semantics. 'Replacement' would have been more appropriate.
Knowing the blank key shape and size would be a good start. When it came time for me to pursue this, my intent was to ask the BBers to post a scaled picture of the key and/or the key number/type. Too many other fish to fry at the moment. Was reading this thread intently hoping for you to break this ground. :D

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I would think that a good locksmith would know what key will fit (or at least have a listing) I know that they can make a key from a blank by inserting a blank into the keyhole,wiggling it and by looking at the scratches in the blank can make a new by hand.

Paul

·
Administrator
17,464 Posts
I know that they can make a key from a blank by inserting a blank into the keyhole,wiggling it and by looking at the scratches in the blank can make a new by hand.
+1

I had keys made for our MGB that way. Without looking like he was rushing it took the locksmith about 5 minutes to make a key. He took a blank, inserted it into the lock cylinder, wiggled the key, examined the key with his loupe, filed it by hand, repeated that a couple of times and it worked fine.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have one, good condition, with key,,, $325.00

Shipping included..

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Unfortunately, not the same.

Grab the blanks if you can, though, we will need them in the near future,,,

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have to got to my storage tomorrow to pick up some other parts, will try to find my spare cap. I will at least post a picture of the key.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to you all again for your input and guidance.

The key cutting idea is sound, other than the fact that my current cap is old and tired (although aesthetically it looks good) and I do not trust the integrity of its internal locking functions. That is surely an option to make a key, but it will be my last resort.

Glen, thanks for stepping up on the cap....I knew you probably had one:) $325 on the other hand is a little rich for my blood. When they pop up on ebay and the like, the last NOS that sold a few months ago was $120.00 and I missed it.

Rob, you are always on top of whats going on with the forums! I love it. I do know where to get the key blanks if needed as well. I'll track you down if I decide to trust my old caps internal locking mechanism. Sure would hate to be SOL when I'm at the gas station.

Just an FYI to you all, someone out of the UK responded to me privately and said they may have one...will wait and see what the scoop is.

Thank you again for all of your input...I will update you all as to the status as this caper unfolds.

Talk soon,
Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts