Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil pump out of my 2L 1975 Alfetta sedan. I am having difficulty removing the oil-pressure relief plunger. It seems to be stuck in place. Does anyone know any tricks for removal?

Thanks,
Larry
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,550 Posts
Several. #1)Solvent, with a final wash with Brakeclean, then a healthy dose of PB Blaster, heat the body with a cool (no oxy-acetylene) torch, lightly tap in a threaded brass pipe, screwing it IN. Continue turning clockwise as you pull upwards and often the piston comes right out. Repeat (several times) before giving up.
#2)Use the factory relief valve piston puller tool, with or without the pre-treatment mentioned above. This tool is pretty rare. Good luck with finding one.
#3) Send it to me. I eventually get them all out. If the body is ruined though by others efforts at removal, I won't bother working on it. Alfa oil pump building is my business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gordon,
Thank you. I have hit it with PBlaster from intake side, relief port, and spring cavity and it is soaking. Now I know your brass pipe trick I'll heat, tap, twist and pull. I may need to take you up on your offer later.
I appreciate your assistance,
Larry
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,550 Posts
Any time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil pump replaced, did it fix problem?

By the way, my old oil pump is still soaking. Meanwhile, I Took the pump from an old 2L engine that happened to be under my work bench. The pump had very low clearances for its gears, both radially and axially, so I made sure the relief valve was free-moving, and ground it in with a bit of valve-grinding compound to make a good seal. I thoroughly flushed out the compound!

After some surprisingly confusing monkey business with the oil pump to distributor timing, at least I'm not the first, I buttoned up the oil pan.

So;
1. Intermittent low oil pressure. My theory was oil relief valve sticking in open position.
2. Pulled oil pan in situ
3. all con rod and main bearing clearances in spec except could not reach aft most of each because of frame cross member.
4. Replaced with used oil pump

Fired up engine and i now (at least for 8 miles accumulated so far) have the best oil pressure I've seen in an Alfa, 60 PSI at 3,000 RPM and 20 PSI at hot idle. I use a mechanical gage. Success!

I'll let you know if there are further problems

Just have to fix a leak in the header to down pipe (European) gasket now. What with illness and travel, it was apart for almost a month and I'm glad to have it almost ready again. I hate leaving an engine open.

Pictures show RTV sealant worms, nice oily crank, and old oil pump. By the way, all 6 oil plugs were still in the crank, what a relief!

Cheers,
Larry - Pasadena
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Fired up engine and i now (at least for 8 miles accumulated so far) have the best oil pressure I've seen in an Alfa, 60 PSI at 3,000 RPM and 20 PSI at hot idle.
Glad you have it solved but if you have Gordon build you pump you will see better pressure, just speaking from experience.
Where did those RTV worms come from? That's way too much in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brown worms and reminiscenses of old Alfas

I may yet be in the market for a Gordon rebuild before long! I have a backup 1976 sedan, and am tempted to pull its pan soon to check the state of health for its pump since I am seeing low pressure for it.

Yeah, those worms were definitely too much! I searched through the oil channels as best I could, including the crank, and did not find any blockages. looks like the screen on the oil pickup did its work this time. Still, try to avoid the temptation to slather RTV where it can end up inside your engine.

Speaking of that screen, the single hard engine failure I have had in 47 years of Alfa driving happened when my 1977 GTV siezed the #4 main bearing due to lack of oil. The problem was an oil pump pickup which had some kind of hard brownish precipitate coagulated over its screen. The oil pressure had been going down and up erratically for the prior few hundred miles, but I did not trust the electronic oil pressure gage. Doh!

By the way, this happened about 10 miles from the San Andreas Fault, in a remote area near the Carizzo Plain, on a nicely curvy 2 lane road. (Pre cell phone) Fortunately, I had a bicycle with me to ride to "town", where an obliging Enterprise Car Rental agent drove about 30 miles to pick me up. Thank you Enterprise.

Cheers,
Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed, Thanks!

Thanks to all who helped. Gordon's recommendation #1 above worked like a charm. More description with pictures of the offending pressure relief valve can be seen in the engine rebuilding section.
Thanks,
Larry
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top