Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 GTV6 that had no driveline vibration ever. Nicely balanced. After a trip to a really great shop in my locale, we replaced Trans gaskets and mounts. I believe they must have phased the shaft with the flanges, but now it vibrates anything above 2700 rpm, even in neutral. Now what? Will I now have a car that does this forever?

·
Administrator
17,370 Posts
What color is your GTV6? How can we fix its mechanical ailments when we don't have the vital info...?

See what Greg has to say about transmission mounts: Alfa Romeo Driveshaft Troubleshooting

The GTV6 and Milano use different transaxle to rear cross member mounts. The GTV6 mounts are no longer made so the parts vendors just send you a Milano mount when you order one for your GTV6. Guess what? It will fit your GTV6 but it will put your driveshaft out of alignment in the up and down plane. Specifically it will move the front of your transaxle up. This is because the Milano mount has an extra metal plate welded to its base making the base thicker and thus moving the transaxle up.

If your GTV6 has these plates then your driveshaft is probably out of alignment.

·
Premium Member
14,515 Posts
See the thread above this one. Try loosening the pinch bolt at the front end of the driveshaft, rev the engine a bit and tighten the pinch bolt.

You don't have to remove the driveshaft to replace the trans mounts so there is not a lot that you can screw up doing that job. There are a lot more possibilities if they did remove the driveshaft.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I'll mention the plates and have them removed. That should do it?

·
Premium Member
14,515 Posts
I installed the mounts with the plates on my GTV6 before I learned about the recommendation to remove them. I asked Richard Jemison if I should go back and remove them. He told me not to bother as it was unlikely to make any noticeable difference. So I left them in and I do not have a vibration problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same here

I have the same issue, replaced the transmission mount and the rear started to vibrate like hell. Took the plates out as Greg suggested, the situation improved a little, but prominant vibration still persist within 2000-3000rpm. Now what?

·
Banned
764 Posts
I kmow this may seem odd, but I had a similar problem after rebuilding my driveline complete; I thought. The motor tail housing bushing was mucked up. Trying to R & R sucks so I did an old trick for these 'holy' bushings i learned back when Moby Dick was a minnow.

Not only check this bushing but you can do what I do to these even on my Biturbo and BMW 'M's suspension pieces. Remove the part and fill the voids with a 2 part polyurethane material. You can make the mix as stiff as you like by the percentage of catalyst to the mixture. This is excerllant for street/track applications and you'll probably never have a problem with the bushing again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts