Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally pulled my 77 spider engine to do a piston liner set and was suprised to see so much oil residue in the lower front of the engine. I rebuilt the engine 2 years and about 8k miles ago and did everything except pistons, rings and liners. I took great care to have clean mating surfaces and new gaskets just lightly coated with Hylomar. Any ideas where all that oil in the front came from. At first I thought it might be the distributer O-ring (it was replace with new at rebuild), but the oil starts up near the top heavy around the cam chain tensioner lock bolt.

Sorry, I forgot how to insert pictures, so I attached them.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I will replace the front and rear main seals just on principle, but I really want to make sure I fix any possible cause for the gross leak up front.

John Reinschmidt
Austin Texas

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is quite possible! I had to do the front seal twice since I ruined the first one trying to pound it in with a large socket. Is the some kind of trick to getting it in right? I will pull the front pully and inspect the front seal and post a picture.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the front pully, and I don't think the front main seal is the culprit. The seal looks good, and the pully sealing surface is clean and dry outside of the seal contact ring, as you can see in this photo. I did replace the oring in the tach drive on the water pump when the engine was rebuilt. Any other ideas???

John R

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible its coming from the front of the head gasket. How tight should those two 13mm bolts under the front of the head gasket be. I was able to tighten them slightly with a std 13mm box wrench. I don't see anyway to get a torque wrench on them though. But from the looks of things that appears that might be the most likely place.

John

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think I might have found my oil leak. I pulled the distributor, and there was a lot of oil all around where the distributor enters the block. I pulled the o-ring and found some tearing/rough surface on the outside of the ring. Note the o-ring material fibers showing at the bottom in the oring picture. Hard to believe such a small matter can make such a mess. I'm not sure how the o-ring got buggered like that though.

John R

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
When you put the dizzy in last, did you put the o-ring aorund the dizzy body then slip it in, or did you put the o-ring in the hole and shove the dizzy through it? (I'm kinda fond of the former rather than the latter)

Odd that it's spattered all the way across the front face of the timing chest though, at least if it's only the dizzy o-ring leaking.

The two head bolts from underneath in the front get 10-13ft/lbs and call for hylomar sealing compound on the threads.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: Oil Leak

Greetings:
One place to look for an oil leak around the front of the engine is of all things, the............ Water Pump.........The oil leak quite often comes from the tach drive area. If you have an old pump around, pull the gear drive for the tach, and inside at the bottom of the recess for the gear drive there is a thrust button.
This thrust button is pressed into the aluminum of the water pump housing, and the hole that it is pressed into is drilled right through the aluminum. If this is the source of the leak, you can take a small punch and drive out the thrust button and re seat it with an appropriate Locktite product or similar.
I had this problem on an fresh engine with a new water pump, and had to pull the pump to repair it.
Just a thought, regards Ian.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
another source of oil leaks on the front of the engine is the oil return line fron the vapor seperator. there is a plastic hose from the seperator to the dipstick tube. on my 74, the nose was old and cracked, causing a lot of oil over the front of the engine.
also cleaning the vapor sepreator will help to reduce pressure in the engine that pushes oil out.
cliff

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas, I will check out the tach drive. It was leaking right after I reinstalled the engine, and I replace the O-ring in it, but didn't do anything with the thrust button. I will also check out the oil return line for cracks. I expect it is old and hard. As for the distributor O-ring, I put it on the distributor and than slid the distributor in place.

Thanks, John R

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I was convinced that I had a leaking crank seal on my Spider even though the engine was recently rebuilt. I fitted a speedisleeve to the pulley and replaced the seal and still it leaked....until I replaced the distributor with a new one from 123ignition!
Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Right now, you have so much oil on the front of the motor, it's hard to tell exactly where the oil is coming from. I'd suggest that you clean the motor thoroughly, drive it for awhile, and then look for the leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts