Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make sure that the 10562 tipo plate that I am making has the holes spaced correctly. I plan to use it as a template to create files for other tipo plates. So, I need to gather some data to make sure that all 105/115 car have the same spacing between the mounting holes.

If your car is missing the plate, the measurements will be more accurate.

I need the holes on the fire wall measure as shown in my picture. So, if you have a Duetto, a 1600 GT/GTV, a GT Junior a Giulia Super, etc, please measure and report back here. On my car and someone's 10551, the distance is 76.5 mm. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Gee, I get a slightly wider spacing than 76.5 mm. I measured both my Duetto and Sprint GT and got 77 and 78 mm respectively. Admittedly both have their data plates riveted on, so I'm trying to estimate the locations of the rivets' centerpoints; in other words, my measurements certainly aren't accurate to the last .0001 mm

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Brian, I assume you are measuring centre to centre distance. K

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
I wonder how these were originally made? With or without holes, and fitter drilled through this and the bulkhead to install.

A photo above of an original seems to show where the rivet is was not black but silver, maybe that marked the location of where to drill

My car is 76mm, and that is measuring the hole centres as the plate was removed over 30 years ago
Pete

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I've located 52 different ones, so far.
I think there are many more. Counting the XXX.XX type numbers in Fusi's tables, I'm at 68 Tipos between 1959 and 1970. Then came the 2000s and their 115 numbers, and the Alfettas 116...
Did 102s have Tipo plates?

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder how these were originally made? With or without holes, and fitter drilled through this and the bulkhead to install.

A photo above of an original seems to show where the rivet is was not black but silver, maybe that marked the location of where to drill

My car is 76mm, and that is measuring the hole centres as the plate was removed over 30 years ago
Pete
I thought of that as well. So, I am nervous about the hole spacing on the 10562 plates that I'm offering. If the spacing is somewhere between 76 and 77, I can make up for that with slightly larger mounting holes. From what I've been told, the original hole size is 3.1mm or 1/8".

I think there are many more. Counting the XXX.XX type numbers in Fusi's tables, I'm at 68 Tipos between 1959 and 1970. Then came the 2000s and their 115 numbers, and the Alfettas 116...
Did 102s have Tipo plates?
Yves, I am only working on 105 and 115 plates. I had not thought of looking at Fusi to get a complete list, so thank you for pointing that out.

I don't know what came on the 102 had the plates applied. I've looked through pictures of my old Alfetta and cannot see or even remember seeing a tipo plate on it.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
To my mind I have this idea that the original exposed pop (blind) rivet head on the plate looked smaller than the standard 1/8 inch pop rivet head would be. This implies a smaller than 1/8" rivet and a smaller hole or a special small headed 1/8 inch rivet if such a thing exists. I think in the last 50 years a lot of plates have been reattached at least in North America with 1/8 inch pop rivets.

This morning I took the following measurements. I took the measurement between plate mounting holes by inserting a close fitting drill (7/64") in one hole and measuring to the far side of the other hole. As the drill was a close fit but not tight the measurement is slightly long. No plates are attached.

My 1975 1600 GTj is stock but with layers of paint and the current hole is clearance for 7/64 drill or .109 in or 2.8 mm. The hole spacing centre to centre is 76.2 mm

My 1964 Sprint GT racer has no paint and same clearance hole for 7/64 drill or .109 in or 2.8 mm. The hole spacing centre to centre is 76.8mm.

The 0.6 mm difference = 0.024 "

Based on the GOOGLE table below I will need to use 2.4 mm or 3/32" rivet if I do not want to drill the hole larger.

2.4 mm = 0.095"
3/32" = 0.094"
1/8" =0.125" = 3.175 mm

FROM GOOGLE
Available Blind Rivet Sizes

Metric series – 2.4, 3, 3.2, 4, 4.8, 5, 6.4 and 7.4mm. Inch series – 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4 and 19/64″.

Ever in the search of Alfa Logic

Ken

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Further, the original Tipo plate off 1965 RHD GTA 752507 has worn holes of about 3.08 mm and 2.96 mm with a spacing of about 76.8 mm. the impression left by the rivet head while hard to be exact is about 4.14 mm.
Black paint appears in places right up to the holes edge.

I remember when she was restored asking Roman Tucker about the rivets to be used for the replacement plate and he said small rivets were correct and would be used.

Ken

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts