Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine passed away recently and his wife asked me to help with the sale of his GTV.

He purchased it about a year ago. It had been restored shortly before that but he went a step further and took care of some OCD level details. One thing I remember was that the gaskets under some lights were not perfectly concentric with the fixtures so he loosened them up and made them so. This is a very nice car.

Beyond photographic documentation of the restoration (I never saw it and don't know what they have) and known history of the car, what will be important to document?

Any suggestions as to a realistic and fair sale price?

A bunch of photos here:

http://bit.ly/2hFE7Xh

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
'73 GTV

I assisted a fellow BB member with a sale on an unmolested and very clean '73 GTV with 73k original miles last year at this time. It had very few minor defects (incorrect rear view mirror, minimal number of very small pain chips, and some minor scrapes on the stainless bumpers but no rust anywhere). He sold it for just over $20k. The new owner flipped it within 6 months after replacing the stock wheels with ones similar to your photos, replacing the mirror and correcting the paint defects. It sold the second time for near $30k, so I believe the original sales price was significantly below the market.

·
Registered
133 Posts
73 GTV

Looks to be an absolutely beautiful car !
They're great drivers when properly set up.
This one seems to be sitting a little high on it's suspension. Maybe it's the wheels and tires.

Even if one started with a nice original '73 and carefully executed a slow and careful restoration,
I doubt that they could accomplish a final product as beautiful as this car for under $75,000 .
Book values are really deceiving because they never take the true restoration costs into account when considering a car this nicely done.

$75K is a high number for a '73 GTV , but if someone wants a car this nice, it's probably not really too much.

JWHALFA

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi
I'm so sorry to hear that Mr. Dennis passed. I sold him the car and I know the car very well as I restored it. I be glad to help you or his wife to sell this car/ Please call contact me for info.
Norman 949-500-8035

·
Registered
199 Posts
Book values are really deceiving because they never take the true restoration costs into account when considering a car this nicely done.

$75K is a high number for a '73 GTV , but if someone wants a car this nice, it's probably not really too much.

JWHALFA
Pass me some of what you are smoking. Market values are what define the market, not "how much would this cost or DID this cost to restore" and as someone who looked for a year for my GTV, this car is $40K-45K tops tops tops. Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous and well done [and good on the resto team for getting rid of the nasty US side markers] and in a great color scheme, but having very recently been in the market, 2000s are bottom of the heap in GTV land and a perfect no rust no excuse example should get $40-50K from the right buyer....but you may wait a long time for that "right" buyer.

My suggestion is to wait a few months until the weather gets better and then put it up on BaT or consign it with a high end shop or auction house depending on how much question answering you want to do yourself versus outsourcing. Love the car though--good luck and sorry to hear of the owner's passing. Hopefully it ends up in good hands and the family gets a nice check as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd get a competent appraiser to go over it. I'd also maybe consider some auction format like BAT, reputable auction company or even eBay.
Sometimes scenarios like this , just put it out there at no reserve and people get lathered up so to speak.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all. I appreciate everybody's input. I will keep the board updated with whatever my friend decides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'74 Alfa GTV

Hello,
I'm interested, if the car is still available.
Have no idea what to offer.
Have always wanted this very car, and love the color.
Possible you can you give me a general price range?

All the best,
Robert

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice car!

Can someone confirm what the colour is? Looks a bit light to be Rosso Amarento.

Is it AR518 Robinia Metallic? Looks a lot like mine.

Cheers.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'll be listing a GTV 2000 on BAT next year. Low commission for the seller and an intelligent group of bidders are pluses with BAT.

I've had decidedly mixed results on eBay, with yahoos and high bidders who don't pay.

I did sell an Alfa about a year ago at our local "Cars and Coffee". I just showed up with a "for sale" sign on the window, the buyer drove it for about 20 miles, we then met at her bank the next day, she gave me cash, and I gave her the pink slip. I still see the car around town.

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
I've sold a handful of cars on BaT and two bikes back when they had Throttle Yard. All good experiences. Most recently sold a 750 Normale Spider, met my reserve, I was happy.
Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very interested if car is still available

I just saw your posting. I am very interested in this car. I have been looking for a nice GTV for quite a while. Please contact me at 804-840-1441. thanks Ken

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update... sorry to break the news but the car was sold to a friend of a friend of the owner without ever appearing in an ad.

Thanks for everybody's help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts