Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started replacing my 87 Quads front shocks without a workshop manual (on order), and need to know the top nuts and lower nut torque spec. Nothing in the packing to say what to use (of course, because probably multiple applications). Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Front Suspension

Wheel hub nut; first tightening 14.8-17.7 ft.lb

Wheel hub nut; second tightening 3.7-7.4 ft.lb

Nuts securing upper and lower ball and socket joints to the steering knuckles 54.6-61.2 ft.lb

Nuts securing the steering arm to the steering knuckle 28.8-32.5ft.lb

Bolts securing the lower wishbone to the body 40.6-42.8ft.lb

Bolts securing the upper wishbone to the body 79.7-98.8ft.lb

Screws securing the front arm to the body 16.2-19.9 ft.lb

Nuts securing the lower ball and socket joint to the half wishbones 59-66.4ft.lb

Bolts securing the front arm to the upper wishbone 27-33.9 ft.lb

Screws securing the front brake caliper to the steering knuckle 54.7-61.2 ft.lb

Nuts securing the track bar ball and socket joint 34.7-39.8 ft.lb

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Old manuals say 59 to 66 lbs. Can't imagine its much differen than newer spiders. I can't remember for sure, but I believe koni says you just tighten them down until the rubber bushing fills out the concave washers--just squish them to the washer shape and no more. Then double nut to lock in place

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, but I think you gave me everything except for what I needed. i need the torques for the shock absorber nuts (one at top - then double up for security with another, and then the one at the bottom of the shock absorber). thanks.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
for the S4 spider the only torque settings given in the w/shop manual are for the rear shock mounts to the trailing arms: 24-30 N.m or 17,7 thru 22,1 ft.lb

there are no torque settings given in my 91-94 50 state version w/s manual for the front shock mounting bolts, neither top nor bottom - so just make sure they are tight! - I cannot imagine it is any different for your 87 model.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,618 Posts
AFAIK there is no torque spec for the first nut. As stated, Koni says to torque it up until the shock bushings are even with the outsides of the washer (which isn't really that tight...you want the bushing to be able to flex a bit). If the rubber bushing bulges beyond the washer you've tightened it too much.

The second nut, just tighten up ("tech tight" :D ) against the first to hold it in place, you'll be fine. I typically use a torque wrench for everything but for a simple double-nut application like this it's not crazy critical.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
more of a "feel" you develop, don't want the rubbers squashed out flat but tight enough to be held in place and with enough thickness to absorb the motion without moving around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
thanks, but I think you gave me everything except for what I needed. i need the torques for the shock absorber nuts (one at top - then double up for security with another, and then the one at the bottom of the shock absorber). thanks.
Sorry, should have mentioned that was all my manual had to say for torque values on the front suspension.

While my manual does have one paragraph solely dedicated to the front shocks, half of it is "Reassembly is the reverse of removal."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts