Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '73 Alfa Spyder that I need to tow. There is no hook on the front of the car. I am trying to figure out the best and safest way to move it. The rear brakes don't work and the calipers are removed. Would it be best to fix the front brakes and tow it? or make a tow bar and take off the front bumpers? Any advice here would be appreciated.

I want to restore this car and drive it. Its been sitting in a garage for 17 years. The engine won't turn over but to work on it I need to get it to my house about 3 blocks away.

Thanks,

Morgan

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
The best and safest way to move it is to call a tow truck.
The second best way is to rent or borrow a tow dolly that lifts the front wheels of the road.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
With something that has been sitting that long I usually prefer to have it put on a flat bed. You wouldn't want to lose a axle or wheel bearing on the way home.
A flat bed is the safest bet. My 2cents.

Keep us posted on the project and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Does the parking/emergency brake work? If so, and it's only 3 blocks on back streets, then I think you could safely tow it with another car on a longer than normal tow rope. The key point would be to tow it at no faster than a walk since your braking capability with the parking brake would be minimal.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Three blocks???? Is it uphill? Just push it............:D

Or, sling a strap around a front suspension point and pull it home. YES, the proper way is a flatbed tow but is that really the best option???

Yes, I am a redneck in the middle of Kentucky but if it works......???:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts