Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello BB members,

Based on your feedback from a previous post, I was finally able to figure out what I was doing wrong when recharging my A/C system. After filling it with R-12, I was able to get a temperature of 43 degrees at the vents, which I thought was more than adequate.

However, I had noticed that the blower motor's support was broken, and the fan would scrape the interior of the blower when I turned to the right sharply. I was going to try to fix the support when all of a sudden, the whole A/C system seems to have died on me. The compressor does not engage at all, and te blower does not work at all. Given the simultaneous failure of both the compressor and the blower, it seems that the failure is electrical in nature.

Is there a single fuse for both these systems? Does anybody have a diagram for the fusebox? Unfortunately, I do not yet have the service manuals for the car, and I have no idea what the electrical system looks like.

In addition to this, can somebody please tell me how to dismount the blower? I would like to repair the motor support and check the hoses to make sure that everything is in its place. But again, I have no idea how to dismount the darn contraption.

Your help will be greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
There is a blower speed switch. The incoming wire (sorry I don't know colors but I will guess red) should be hot when the ignition is on. This switch has two functions: It supplies 12 volts to one of the blower wires, depending upon which speed is selected. It also sends 12 volt to the thermostat on the evaporator (temperature control knob) when any blower speed is selected. The thermostat then supplies 12 volts to the compressor clutch if the evaporator temperature is higher than the set temperature. No blower or compressor clutch power suggests that you have lost the incoming 12 volts. Could be a fuse or a loose wire.
I no longer have an air conditioned spider or GTV and I cannot remember the function of the AC relay. It probably controls the power to the clutch and condensor fan. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Also might be the fact that your AC was running while the blower was not, might have triggered your low pressure switch, give it a whirl tomorrow or when the liquid freon becomes a gas again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pointers. The blower was working when the whole thing went south, so it probably is a blown fuse or a loose wire. I would think it is the former, as I was not touching anything when it went dead.

Does anybody have a diagram of the fuse box? I would really like to be able to identify the fuses. Unfortunately, when I bought my Spider, the fuse box was missing its cover (as a matter of fact, the whole thing is held in place with a wooden clothespin which prevents the fuse panel from swinging down).

Thanks again for your help...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Thanks for the pointers. The blower was working when the whole thing went south, so it probably is a blown fuse or a loose wire. I would think it is the former, as I was not touching anything when it went dead.

Does anybody have a diagram of the fuse box? I would really like to be able to identify the fuses. Unfortunately, when I bought my Spider, the fuse box was missing its cover (as a matter of fact, the whole thing is held in place with a wooden clothespin which prevents the fuse panel from swinging down).

Thanks again for your help...
PM Papajam, he's got all kinds of wiring diagrams he can email to you.

·
Registered
970 Posts
there is a 20 amp fuse that sits in its own holder located behind the fuse box. The fuse supplies power to the blower switch, which in turn sends power to the AC controller, compressor clutch etc.

There is a seperate fuse in the engine compartment (drivers side inner fender) that supplies power to the AC relay and the Aux fan relay in the engine compartment (relays located on passenger side inner fender). If this fuse goes bad, you would still have blower and compressor working, just not the aux fan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Don,

Thanks for the info.

I cannot seem to locate the fuse that sits behind the fuse box. Is it behind the panel that swings down? Knowing how Murphy operates, it is quite likely that this fuse is blown, and it is precisely the one I cannot locate...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never mind. I found it. It was just hanging in there, buried in the tangle of wires.

It is the culprit. I replaced it and the A/C is back on. Now I need to fix the blower casing with a few tie wraps, as suggested in another post, until I replace the entire housing.

Thank you all for your great help!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts